News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Possible British Regimental Medal - ID needed

Hello All.

Just got this little miniature group. I have no clue of what number 3 from the left is, could it be a British Regimental or Soldiers Union medal of some kind?

The first is the Danish Medal for 25 years service in the army, the second the Danish medal for 25 years service as reserve officer, then the unknown and last the British War medal 1940-45 with a palm on the ribbon. It is obvious a Danish group for someone who took some kind of part in WW2, the 3rd and unknown is not a Danish Decoration of any kind (although the ribbon colours could suggest the Life Guard) so the obvious thought is that it must be British related. The one in question is blank on the reverse!

Any help?

Regards, Lars

Edited by larsb001

Lars - I don't recognise No 3 as being British - in fact the fold over ribbon is very un-British. You are correct

that No. 4 is the Brit. War Medal - but somehow it doesn't look quite right. I am not suggesting that it is a forgery

- just wondering if it was locally struck by our Embassy ? Mervyn

Hi Mervyn.

It is correct that the no 3 ribbon is folded the Danish way, but this is common practise for foreign awards being worn by a Dane, the exception being when this is impossible like with the War Medal. I believe this last is a not so old striking, but it would not make sense to believe this is a made up group in any way.

Regards, Lars

Lars - I never suggested that - I am sure it is a contempory set. Maybe no. 3 was a local award ? I couldn't tell you

why I thought no. 4 had been made locally - just a feeling. I expect they had a lot to issue and may have commissioned

locally. Mervyn

Hi Mervyn & Paul.

Thanks alot for your comments. It may after all not be British. Before posting here I checked with some of the Danish experts into regimental and soldiers union badges, they claim it's not Danish so I assumed it must be British as there's no other countries represented on the group. Maybe one day I'll find out?

Regards, Lars

Wow, that was one really interesting group!

The third medal is Norwegian. It is the medal of honour of the Norwegian Reserve Officers' Federation, post 1976 (or so) version: http://www.medals.org.uk/norway/norway032.htm It is awarded for service to the Federation and the case of the reserve officers. Many were awarded to senior representatives of the other Scandinavian reserve officers organisations.

The Norwegian Reserve Officers' Federation was established as the Conscript Officers' Association (in Norwegian: Vernepliktige offiserers forening) in 1896. It's medal of honour was identical to the one shown here, but with light blue ribbon and on the lower part of the medal, the letters "VOF" could be seen - just like the upper part shows "Pro patria". In 1976 (or so), the association changed name to Norwegian Reserve Officers' Federation. The ribbon was changed to the ribbon shown here, but the stamps for the medals were keept. However, the VOF-letters were from now on machined away. But you can still see two letters on the medal shown here, V and O.

I think the British War Medal might be a local Danish production.

Very nice group!

Hello Kvart.

Thanks alot for the ID of this medal. I was just about to do a super scan of this medal by request of Trooper D, but now the mystery is solved, And to be honest, the last country I'd had in mind was Norway. But after your detailed story this would of course make sense.

My thanks to all that have spend time and thoughts.

Regards, Lars

Hi Lars,

I once had in my collection a french WW2 group in which the recipient had been mentioned in a dispatch and was sent the MID oak leaf after the war ended.

The interesting bit which relates to your group is that covering letter referred to the inclusion of the War Medal (WW2) and details of how to attached the MID.

I assume the usual conditions for the award of this medal were waived as they are with the award of a gallantry medal or a KIA,

So I think your man or woman could have given some kind of important mentionable serve to the British War Effort, possibly without ever being in the UK.

A most interesting group

Gordon