News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BEM help with finding gazette entry

I have a BEM EIIR reverse impressed to Thomas Murray along with Buckingham Palace award document THOMAS MURRAY Esq.

The ribbon is civilian.

Along with the medal there is a card that reads "B.E.M. .....etc..... etc........Presented By Lord Provost T A KERR December 1rst 1953.

I cannot find him in the London Gazette (old or new search) or the Edinburgh Gazette

T A KERR was was the Lord Provost (Mayor) of Glasgow in 1953

I have found a THOMAS MURRAY A/WO2 RASC who was awarded a BEM in 1943, but am sure this cannot be him 10 years on would have been very late presentation?

Any suggestions as to where his citation might be?

Gordon

Ralph.

Thank you for that.

It really is a good story Would you believe I was a civil engineer with the Glasgow City for 10 years working on sewers amongst other things, The medal will now get a prime position in my collection of anything Glasgow (medals and badges)

How did you find the entry, so I can work out what I wasn't doing.

Gordon B

HI Gordon,

Restricted the search to "Murray" which worked as there was a relatively small date span. I think that the reason "Thomas Murray" did not show was that there appears to be a mark over the "s" of Thomas which might have confused the search engine!!

Ralph