News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Aviation Awards of Imperial Germany WWI - Volume 1 question

I am considering do a reprint of Neal O'Connor's volume 1 of Aviation Awards of Imperial Germany WWI. I will of course have to have the permission of his family and/or estate first. I believe that V1 is almost unobtainable and if found can sell for several hundred dollars. My questions are:

1. Would you buy a reprint of V1?

2. What would you be willing to pay for a reprint?

Thanks for the market research help.

Hi Paul,

I think this is a great idea. There are some new material since this book cames out and I consider it worth to be mentioned on a reprint of this volume.

I still consider O'Conner books is the best source about the german aviation.

Let me know if you start working.

1. I would buy a copy

2. It depend on the quality of the print. Do you plan to print this on color? Hard or soft cover?

A price between 60 - 85 USD is fair.

Regards

Alex

I am no expert... but would it be cheaper to do a high resolution E-book? Everyone signs up and we can figure out when it is economically feasible and legally feasible? Certainly saves on shipping cost which is such a joke with all these heavy hard cover stuff from Germany shipped to the US and we are forced to pay for that bond paper and binding which will fall apart if you flip through them enough anyway. Just like a 1870 Rangliste. Ironically, I had more than one email with Neal O'Connor (or was it telephone!) as he was sitting there taking checks for his other volumes and complaining that his Vol 1 was way too over-priced on Ebay.

Cheers

Freiherr

I am no expert... but would it be cheaper to do a high resolution E-book? Everyone signs up and we can figure out when it is economically feasible and legally feasible? Certainly saves on shipping cost which is such a joke with all these heavy hard cover stuff from Germany shipped to the US and we are forced to pay for that bond paper and binding which will fall apart if you flip through them enough anyway. Just like a 1870 Rangliste. Ironically, I had more than one email with Neal O'Connor (or was it telephone!) as he was sitting there taking checks for his other volumes and complaining that his Vol 1 was way too over-priced on Ebay.

Cheers

Freiherr

Personally - I would want paper not "e". Trying to complete shelf collection.

Thanks for all the replies. I can answer a few questions.

1. The book would be an exact reprint with the same quality paper and soft cover. I would add an index.

2. The cover would be in color the since all the pages are b/w, it would be the same.

3. The book was printed in 1988 and back then the binding methods for soft cover were not the best. Today they are much better. I would use what is called a perfect binding.

4. The quality of the scan would be of the highest quality to insure 100% reproduction of the original.

5. I don't know enough about "e" publishing to comment.

I think that there is enough interest to proceed. I first need to contact the family and get written permission.

Hi Paul!

I would be interested! ;-) Of course ideally would be to add some newly adquired information or colour pictures, but I guess that would dramatically increase the work to be put into it, and that without any financial compensation, in order to keep the price low.

ciao,

Claudio

• 4 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...

While I did secure permission from the O'Connor family to reprint the book the main issue is with the time involved to complete. For the book to not look like a cheap reprint all pictures must be scanned, the text must be retyped and the layout must be done again. If I knew could could sell 300 copies I would probable do it, but I don't think that is the case.