News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK1 1914 with extras

Superb Glenn, was the OberstLt the same DR18 officer or was he one of the general Staff majors listed who may have been promoted to OberstLt?

These Bronsarts are not always listed with first names and that concerns me. Why would this occur in these records?

Charles,

He was an Oberleutnant (Leutnant) in 1914. I would assume he was an ADC (Ordannanzoffizier) on the Divisional Staff. This was not a General Staff appointment and in any case, he retired as a cavalry captain.

The Prussians never listed first names in the published Ranglisten unless two or more officers in the same regiment with the same rank had the same surname. Even this was a fairly recent innovation; before that you had the situation where numbers were appended after the name. e.g.

Müller I

Müller II

Etc.

Regards

Glenn

So this EKI is a really nice historical award of the staff officers as I has originally thought. An Oberleutnant and an Oberßtleutnant on the staff of the 54ID with a mention of a date in July 1916 that's of significant meaning to Bronsart

Can you tell me when Bronsart was actually awarded the EKI? I'd like to learn more about this OberstLt and I would venture to say was most likely a major in 1914 and is listed in my list of general staff majors. It's hard to say unless we can prove the Bronsart who was commander of DR18 in 1914 transferred to the staff of 54ID.

Charles,

I think we are at cross purposes here. Bronsart was a Lieutenant, not a Lieutenant-Colonel (Oberstleutnant). A junior officer of this rank would typically have been employed as an aide de Camp (ADC) to the Divisional Commander or as an assistant in one of the staff branches.

Regards

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

11.05.-09.09.1916 Schlacht bei Verdun

18.05. 29.05.1916 Kämpfe um Höhe 304

29.06.1916 Erstürmung feindlicher Gräben südlich des Camardwaldes

30.06.-08.08.1916 Kämpfe um Höhe 304

15.09.-03.11.1916 Stellungskämpfe vor Verdun

24.10.1916 Kämpfe um Fort Douaumont und bei Fort Vaux