News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbian Red Cross Decoration - Great War

• Replies 61
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that we can safely say that it's not Rothe and Bertrand, based on that hallmark I would rather say Leser than Huguenin...

But I am very interested to hear what will others say.

Edited by paja

Thanks, Paja. I appreciate your insights. I have to admit, try as hard as i can, I am having difficulty seeing the traditional "HF" hallmark of the Huguenin Brothers on this ring. Hence ... my doubts.

Cheers,

Glen

Edit: Mum looked at it today and told me it is definatley Lesser, they stamped all of theirs with 800 and only small batch has the JL along with for hallmarking. HF didn't stamp theirs (at least to her knowledge and ones in her collection)

Mystery solved :D Great job Radmilo :D :D

Edited by Rogi

Thanks Rogi :)

Honestly I am still not 100% sure that it's Leser but if I had to name one producer that would be my choice. There are still some differences, quite a few of them, but still Leser is my choice... Mainly because of that 800 hallmark. And frankly speaking I would be even more satisfied if I got Leser than Huguenin! :)

Ok Guys... thanks again for your willingness to help. Here are some more images -- this time made with a scanner -- so maybe a little better detail?

First, a couple more overall images of the decoration... obverse and reverse.

Now the ring: obverse; first an overall image, then a close-up on the area that looks like it might have some makers marks.

Now the reverse of the ring; first overall, then a close-up of the "800" mark.

Edited by Ceylon

I saw your post after my last reply, honestly I am not 100% percent sure if it really is Leser. The trouble is that even the same producers had different variants... And those three (Rothe, Leser and Huguenin) are very similar.

Edited by paja

Those that Radmilo listed all used Rothe's mould :D and for sure different masters produced different variations, maybe even some of these are custom ordered pieces or put together in the workshop from different degrees. We have very limited info and resources on these medals, but for sure it is either Hugeunin, or Lesser. I think more Lesser because of the 800. I know Huguenin only hallmarked in the 900 and up ranges to account for quality of silver.

As is mentioned, your piece has different aspects of each producer (you have a crown above the eagle that is characteristic of Huguenin pieces) if the 800 wasn't present we would most likely assume (as we've done :D in the topic) that it is Huguenin or similar. I really like the differences in the piece :D which make it cool in my opinion :) I think further research and looking and comparing examples are needed before we get a "100% decision" who knows, maybe there is a 800 HF piece somewhere, but for now with all the information we know, it is 100% a legit piece :)

I'd say 95% chance it is Lesser from the info. we have, Hallmark is probably 90% of that while 5% we're comparing the look and feel of current known Lesser pieces.

Thank you, Gentlemen. As always I am grateful that you took the time to share with me your knowledge.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see... until more information comes along,

Cheers,

Glen