News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello!

Some contrybution with no name and information.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2014/post-1000-0-96330500-1408372062.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2014/post-1000-0-94966600-1408372085.jpg

Best regards,Morten.

• 3 weeks later...

Oldulf,

Thank you for sharing these photos with us. Do you know anything about Lt Strauss and his involvement later, during the war? I wonder if the significant scars on his face were due to WW1 participation?

Alas Paul, no context....

According to the authentic tekst on the back of the photo, the family lived in Danzig.

Danzig, between 1919 and 1939 was an independent City-State (with much German resentment), but little coherent information has been published about the Danzig connetions with the NSDAP and preparations for the re-unifiction with the Reich.

As Larry observed, he must have been a university student, with a preference for the noble sport of swords. The family name is to common for identification....

• 4 years later...
    On 09/09/2014 at 17:12, Odulf said:

a preference for the noble sport of swords

The scars are no signs of a sport but of being member of a "Schlagende Verbindung", of which there were many in Germany during that time, and there are still some today. They are student associations. The duells were not part of a sporting activity, but a matter of honor and a ritual of "belonging" to a certain circle of academia. These duells were called Mensur (singular) and were highly ritualised and often bloody as can be seen on a photo from my collection taken in 1927 after such an event with all involved.

GreyC

xMensur_29011927_Schwanenburg_4kl.thumb.jpg.ece327779e57ce4d06858fbefea7643f.jpg

Edited by GreyC

On 03/04/2019 at 22:08, GreyC said:

The scars are no signs of a sport but of being member of a "Schlagende Verbindung", of which there were many in Germany during that time, and there are still some today. They are student associations. The duells were not part of a sporting activity, but a matter of honor and a ritual of "belonging" to a certain circle of academia. These duells were called Mensur (singular) and were highly ritualised and often bloody as can be seen on a photo from my collection taken in 1927 after such an event with all involved.

GreyC

xMensur_29011927_Schwanenburg_4kl.thumb.jpg.ece327779e57ce4d06858fbefea7643f.jpg

I know, and my words "the noble sport of swords" in the context were with ironical intend 

Bruno Loerzer, the President of the DLV and Reichsluftsportführer

DLV - 003x- Bruno Loerzer, Präsident der DLV und Reichsluftsportführer (18,VI.1933).jpg

Great picture! Im still looking for ballon insignia in wear. 

Greetings Luftsport

36 minutes ago, Odulf said:

Erntedankfest 1934, Bitterfeld [Thanks Giving Day 1934 in Bitterfeld], with Police checking the documents

DLV - 005x  Ballonstart zum Erntedankfest 1934, Bitterfeld (1).jpg

Great photo Odulf. 

Im still looking for ballon insignia in wear. 

Greetings Luftsport 

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2014 at 14:17, nesredep said:

Hello Paul R!

Here is my newest DLV Photo.Hope you like this.

dress.jpg

Best regards,Morten.

Hello collector friends,

Here's an improved scan of the picture!

Best, Morten.

new scann.jpg