Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Attached are both a lithograph cartoon from 1884 and a photo of a uniform which matches from the Met museum, found online.

The lithograph comes with a caption describing the man as an Inspector of the 'Parliamentary Police'. Can anyone provide any more information on this?

The Parliamentary Police were a permanent staff on duty in the House of commons, when the house was in session they could be supplemented by auxiliary or temporary police who received an extra shilling per day when seconded to parliamentary duties.

Paul

Paul - I have a feeling they were an auxiliary from the Met. Police. We had a number of permanent units that actually

served away from normal duties - dockyard police were such a Divison. They may have had a slight variation to the tunic ?

It will be interesting to see if members have any additional information. Mervyn

Simon

The Inspector in Question is Chief Inspector Elezar DENNING (b. 1828 d. 1904)

House of Commons Inspector 1860-1888

Born Charlock, Dorset

Joined Met 1846

Warrant No. 23680

Posted to F DIv, then A Div, the J Div, then posted back to A Division in 1860 as House of Commons Inspector.

Only Policeman in Ordinary Uniform to be published in Vanity Fair.

More details are in the Official Encyclopaedia of Scotland Yard (Keith Skinner and Martin Fido).

An Excellent book with lots of images from the Met Police Museum, a number of them shows officers In uniform.

Hope it helps,

Zeb

I think your right but not sure.

You can get the book on eBay etc. but I would get the early hardback edition as it has more images and some in colour

Zeb