News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New RCAF ranks and uniform patches

Following the return of distinctive service ranks in the Navy (executive curl) and more recently to the army, the RCAF is changing it's ranks and most badges to do away with the tri-service (army) gold and returning to the silver of old. Contrary to RAF ranks, the center of officers' ranks will be silver in lieu of a lighter shade of blue. Wings, shoulder titles, buttons, trade badges, all silver.

Only the designation of a "private" will change returning to the old designation of "LAC", the chevron becoming a prop once again.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

LtGen Blondin, Commander RCAF in his new uniform

CLICK TO ENLARGE

CWO of the RCAF Patrick Young in his new uniform

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Welcome back to the good ol' Dominion days!

I must say I do not feel particularly happy about the new-old insignia. They look too British to me and as a former Ontario resident I feel entitled a little bit to share my opinion. I cannot remember it myself, but I was told that when the tri-service ranks were introduced in Canada in 1960s, they were generally received as a symbol of a bigger independence from UK.

I paticularly dislike the new insignia of an army Brigadier-General. A rank with the identical insignia was already in use during WWI, but I believe even then it was a temporary rank "for the duration of war" only (do correct me if I am wrong). I am afraid that now many Canadian colonels may be doing their best not to get promoted, to avoid wearing almost empty shoulder boards. Or Imagine a Brigadier-General who used to wear a crown, crossed sabre and baton and a maple leaf and who is now forced to wear a sabre and baton only.

So far the RCAF ranks are well received by most, the army ranks on the other hand aren't as popular...

Lukasz, the temporary rank of brigadier was a crown with 3 pips if memory serves. Back then nobody said brigadier-general, just brigadier, they weren't considered flag officers.

New Navy and Air Force ranks seem OK. But if they want to return to the British tradition and keep Canadian identity at the same time, here is my proposal for the Army ranks (original parts from uniforminsignia).

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

• 2 years later...

Sorry to start with a necro-post, but I saw Lukasz Gaszewski's picture and wanted to suggest my preference would be to add an additional maple leaf to all the field grade officers.  It does not fit the UK patter, but it matches the other European nations that use pips with crowns (Sweden and Monaco) and it would put maple leaves in every officer rank.  I think it would be pretty cool.

Looks like Canada is already sending the general officer ranks back to this patter.

Army Ranks - Alternate.png

Our army general officers have already returned to the maple leaves but all other officer ranks remain with the pips and crowns.  Our army generals did retain the red lapels but also brought back the single large gold band on the lower arm with no extra smaller bands like the RCN or RCAF.