News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SS and Police Long Service Awards Worn Together?

Several higher ranking SS generals had served in the police between the wars, prior to resuming their military service (Georg Keppler and Karl Maria Demelhuber, for example). Were SS and Police long service awards worn together on the medal and/or ribbon bar?

SS generals like Keppler, Demelhuber, and even Dietrich and that butcher Theodor Eicke, had Army service followed by police service, then, for Keppler and Dietrich, SS Verfugungstruppe service before it morphed into the Waffen SS. I have read that the Imperial Army service and police service counted for SS service awards.

Anyway, the point of the thread is whether there are any examples of a police long service medal or ribbon being worn with an SS long service ribbon or medal. I have only seen one example on a Google search and there was not enough background to make it convincing as an original.

Photos of Keppler's ribbon bar are ambiguous as to the long service awards and Dietrich seems to have worn Bavarian and SS long service ribbons..

Edited by filfoster

While the SS-DA was only for service in the SS-VT, SS-TV, JS and W-SS, Himmler wore it and he was in none of those!

Conversely, he was Chief of the German Police from 1936-45, but never wore the Police Long Service Award.

Heydrich, on the other hand, wore the Police award .................. for much shorter service in the Police than Himmler.

Strange, arcane old world.

Edited by Robin Lumsden

Perhaps with so much 'cross polination' it was down to the individuals interpritation, personality and rank? If high enough you can wear what you want or prefer by loose interpretation of the written line? I am sure I have a Gezetz Book that has the police Long service award in it I wonder if it has the criteria as well, I shall have a look. Perhaps that has guidance from the period.

Jock :)

Guys,

This is one book I actually know where it lives. This is all I can find about the Police versus SS. Perhaps there are some leads there but my command of technical German is not good enough? Obviously this is at their creation and does not take into account any policy changes after 1938?

Jock :)

Edited by Jock Auld

From a Waffen-SS Officer who served in the Balkans ................ the final ribbon is that of the Croatian Order of the Crown of King Zvonimir.

Is that the 'frozen meat order' between the War Merit Cross and the Hindenburg Cross, and the Anschluss on the other side of the Long Service decorations?