News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross (medal) 2nd class

TacHel

Just got myself this little beauty... :love:

One thing though. The only other I've seen hanging from a ribbon had the ribbon of the Military Decoration for Exceptional Service or Acts of Courage or Devotion. Is that the proper ribbon for it? Is there a proper ribbon for it?

CLICK ON PHOTO FOR FULL SIZE

That's the original one I saw bud... It's hanging from the ribbon of the Military Decoration for Exceptional Service or Acts of Courage or Devotion.

I still haven't found any original text about the ribbon, if any! They were originally issued without one and were short lived being replaced by the 1st class after only 3 years me thinks.

hello,

The medal was never to be hanged on a ribbon. At first the medal was a second class award but very fast replaced by the Iron Cross second class ( 1st class has a golden rim, 2nd had a silver rim). The Iron cross 2nd class was also replaced by the Iron Croos 1st class, meaning that the 2nd class is very rare to find.

The 2nd class (silver rim) was worn on a black ribbon with the national colours red and yellow on both sides of the black. You often see the medal mounted on different ribbons some even mounted with a crown.

After that the medal was replaced and it was usually given as a souvenir to those who received the Iron Cross 1st class. This medal also excists in bronze made for collectors.

best regards,

Werner

Just got myself this little beauty... :love:

One thing though. The only other I've seen hanging from a ribbon had the ribbon of the Military Decoration for Exceptional Service or Acts of Courage or Devotion. Is that the proper ribbon for it? Is there a proper ribbon for it?

attachicon.gifMédaille de fer.jpg CLICK ON PHOTO FOR FULL SIZE

Good catch, TacHel!

Love it.

• 3 months later...