News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal box stock numbers

I have in my USA medal collection 2 Vietnam service medals in their original boxes. Both made by different makers, one being HLP (Lordship products) the other is I think a Williams and Anderson. On both boxes there is the federal stock number 8455-926-1664 I am assuming this dates the establishment of this medal to 1964 and not the manufacture. Both boxes have a DSA number, the HLP is 100-4411 and the Williams 100-69-C-2506.The HLP medal dates from circa 64-67 but on the Williams box it has been hand written 11/69.

Does anyone know what DSA is for and what the numbers signify?

I offer this link, but I think it will instead confuse the issue... Since if you follow it's logic, your HLP item was produced in Nov 1944, which we know can't be true. So... Take from it what you will.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Intrepreting-Dates-of-DA-DSA-DLA-SPO-Contract-Numbers-/10000000010153791/g.html

That's odd because according to that article there would only be 3 suffix numbers and not 4? Very strange. But like the papers I don't believe all I read on the web, sorry but been mis informed before on wiki?

That's why I said, "Take from it what you will..." since it did seem to confuse the issue. I doubt you'll find an authoritative answer.

I have three in boxes. All are marked "8455-926-1664" and "D.S.A. 100-69-C-2506", and like yours have "11/69" or "11-69" penciled on them. My understanding was that November 1969 was when they were made. Contra the article, though, these only have two numbers for the year and not year and month. I suppose by 1969 they stopped putting the month in the code because it was a waste to change the printing on the boxes every month, and just penciled in the month.

On the HLP one, the 4411 is probably HLP's product code, and they must have omitted the date code after the "100-".

That's why I said, "Take from it what you will..." since it did seem to confuse the issue. I doubt you'll find an authoritative answer.

Thanks I did find it a tad confusing and understood your first response.Hope my reply didn't sound negative apologies if it did.

Guys I appreciate your input, thanks. Just looking at the 2 makes of this medal and the HLP one is much thicker on the planchette but finish on both and ribbon etc is of a high quality. I also have a Simco marked one without the box. I can assume based on the numbers that these 2 and perhaps the Simco (E H Simon) are all Government contractors.

Does anyone know what DSA is for and what the numbers signify?

DSA would be the "Defense Supply Agency", which later morphed into the Defense Logistics Agency. DSA markings were used 1962-1967.

As Doc says DSA is Defense Supply Agency. 100 means the Defense Personnel Support Center in Philadelphia. 69 is the fiscal year of the Contract. The Letter "C" means Contract. :) (A "D" would mean a delivery order type of contract.) The final 4 digits are the serial contract number which in this case means that your medal was awarded under the 2,506th contract for that fiscal year (or something like that). That system was in use from the late 60's to 1977 when DSA became DLA (the Defense Logistics Agency). DLA followed the same contract numbering system just substituting DLA for DSA. In fact SPO contract numbers still appear to follow that system on my GWOT box for 2003 (03).

The number beginning with 8455 is the Federal Stock Number (Later revised to National Stock Number). It represents the stock number of the item in the box.

The HLP contract still has a 100 so it is still DSA but I cannot identify the year. It could be as explained on Ebay that it was during FY 66 when they first used the 100 without date suffix. So then 4411 would be the serial number in the contract sequence. I have medal boxes that predate DSA that have a different numbering system altogether without the 100.

Your welcome. In fact this topic came up on the OMSA (Orders and Medals Society of America ) web page in 2012 and the former owner of Graco gave explanations there about manufacture date, acceptance date etc. It may help here. They had lots of pictures of boxes and you will recognize at least one contract number (to HLP). Here is a link to their page:

http://www.omsa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=593

On that page they show boxes with number 100-4410 and 100-4411 to Simon and HLP respectively. So both of those contracts appear to date to FY 66. I'll fill them in with the information as above here (but I use a different name there).

I will try to help Ebay correct their guide. Their information through FY 67 appears correct but information for FY 69 and beyond appears incorrect. I used to work at DSA (before 1/1/77) and DLA (after 1/1/77) and wrote contracts, purchase orders etc. for them