News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Leutnant dL Ludwig Weszkalnies (1878-1957)

Gentlemen,

here is a group I have been wanting to post for a long time. This is my wife's great-grandfather, Ludwig Weszkalnies. He was a Prussian reserve NCO before 1914 and ended up as a char. Oberlt. der Landwehr. I will post some pics of him (not all are very clear) and later some documents.

Any comments and observations welcome! I still have difficulties with uniforms and insignia.

Chris

First picture: Ludwig in Grenadier-Regiment 3, Königsberg. Probably before 1900. It seems he is Gefreiter here.

1900vor___Ludwig2.jpg

Edited by webr55

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#3: The way to get commissioned before 1914 was complicated. Ludwig's estate was not small, but, from what has been told, not large enough for becoming an officer before the war. Thus he made Vizefeldwebel der Reserve, and, turning 35, entered the Landwehr in 1913. This pic shows it:

1913 Ludwig bei Landwehr.JPG

Edited by webr55

#4: Then came WW1. Ludwig served in Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment 4. I have not been able to find much info on this regiment. There appears to be no regimental history of it.

Apparently, Ludwig started as Offizier-Stellvertreter. This is his "Verwundetenkarte" from 1914, where his rank is given as "Offz. St.". The original writing was "Feldwebelleut", but this has been crossed out.

LuWesz_Verwundetenkarte.jpg

Edited by webr55

#5: Shortly afterwards, he earned the EK2. The following picture shows him with his brother (who apparently served in army postal service - can anyone confirm this?). I am a little confused about this picture: Is Ludwig - with NCO Tresse - an Offizier-Stellvertreter here?

1914nach___Ludwig_und_Franz_Weszkalnies__1.jpg

Edited by webr55

#8: His Soldbuch survived. It was actually issued on the last day of the Battle of the Masurian Lakes.

Here is the first page, the signature is a Zahlmeister Jülich, who in 1914 was assigned to Gren Reg. 1.

SOLD2 - Unterschrift Zahlmeister Jülich.JPG

Edited by webr55

He was then transferred to a Wirtschaftskompanie 246. I don't know whether this was part of Landw.Inf.Reg. 4 or a separate unit. Does anyone know?

SOLD9.JPG

Edited by webr55

He got the Black Wound Badge in 1918 for his early wound:

The document was issued in Riga, where his Wirtschaftskompanie was to my knowledge aiding in the building up of the Baltic states.

LuWesz-Abzeichen Verwundete.JPG

Edited by webr55

I do not know why the award date is so late but this is the first one this late I have ever noticed. Looks like there were quite a few given out that year by the number in lower left unless that is a running count from '36 on. Teach me!

Also, an excellent family grouping! Nice to see it has a good home instead of a market value.

Edited by CRBeery