News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Leutnant dL Ludwig Weszkalnies (1878-1957)

Absolutely fantastic! I enjoy nothing more than seeing family collections like this. :jumping::jumping::jumping: I know it would make collecting difficult, but I wish every family loved their ancestors enough to have kept all the things like this. :beer:

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right then, I'll take a stab in the dark.. It's that Kallwehlen? It was in Memelland, today known as Kalveliai in Lithuania.

Pete

You got it Pete! :beer:

Ludwig lived in the Memel District. During the Allied occupation right after WW1, he could still be promoted by the Germans there in 1921, as the first doc shows. But after the Lithuanian occupation in 1923, no further awards could be issued until the return of the Memelland in March 1939. That's why it took Ludwig until December 1940 to get his Hindenburg.

Does anyone else have a Hindenburg doc this late?

Also, if I'm not completely mistaken, Ludwig - as an officer - would have been eligible for the Landwehr DA 1st cl (XX). Could anyone confirm this?

In that case, he probably couldn't receive it, being in Memelland. There is no evidence he got it.

Guest Rick Research

I cannot SEE the scans on page 1-- apparently this is a file size/dpi/???? "issue" however you scanned them and they do not download, just sit there at "18 processing" with the tops of only some of them showing at all, no change in 10 minutes of waiting.

THIS page takes forever to download but does eventually come through-- and I notice things like your EK2 taking 60+ KB space that would be about 10 KB if I scanned it that way and size. (Black backgrounds do NOT help-- they EAT KB UP while producing no positive benefit for clarity, just look like walking into a dark room with no lights on.)

So... couldn't say. Can't SEE too many ? too large KB sized scans.

What SETTINGS are you using for your scans? My computer is old and slow (like me) but it is THIS thread that causes me problems, not other ones.

Regarding the XX-- I do not believe any officer who was not a dR/dL officer BEFORE the war was even considered. I have never seen any such award to a wartime ex-NCO.

By popular request :P , here are the scans in smaller size:

#1:

Ludwig in Grenadier-Regiment 3, Königsberg. Probably before 1900. It seems he is Gefreiter here.

lw01.jpg

Edited by webr55

#5: In WW1, Ludwig served in Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment 4. Apparently, hestarted as Offizier-Stellvertreter. This is his "Verwundetenkarte" from 1914, where his rank is given as "Offz. St.". The original writing was "Feldwebelleut", but this has been crossed out.

lw06.jpg

Edited by webr55

#6: L. with his brother who apparently served in army postal service (?). Ludwig with NCO Tresse - does that denote an Offizier-Stellvertreter?

lw07.jpg

Edited by webr55

• 2 months later...

I managed to find the promotion date of Ludwig Weszkalnies to Leutnant d.L.

Vizefeldwebel Weszkalnies of Landwehrbezirk Tilsit was commissioned as a Leutnant der Landwehr Infanterie 1. Aufgebots into Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 4 on the 1st of February 1915.

Regards

Glenn

I managed to find the promotion date of Ludwig Weszkalnies to Leutnant d.L.

Vizefeldwebel Weszkalnies of Landwehrbezirk Tilsit was commissioned as a Leutnant der Landwehr Infanterie 1. Aufgebots into Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 4 on the 1st of February 1915.

Regards

Glenn

WOW! Excellent work! I don't have that date, where on earth did you find that?

:beer::beer:

Chris

Hi Chris,

the promotion was gazetted in the February 1915 edition 37/38 of the Milit?r-Wochenblatt. Three Vizefeldwebel were commisioned with seniority as Leutnants der Landwehr I in L.I.R. Nr. 4 on the same day:

Vizefeldwebel Gaede

Vizefeldwebel Kunze

Vizefeldwebel Weszkalnies

Regards

Glenn