News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Beautiful Badges, but . . . ?

One of the reasons for the GMIC's existence is, I suppose, that it enables our queries to reach a wide audience of very knowledgeable enthusiasts and (hopefully) to get some useful answers. Having read many of the posts that have appeared over the past months, I am venturing another on a subject which has not cropped up before - though it may yet merge into the never-ending topic of fakes and restrikes.

Some time ago, a neighbour presented me with 24 British badges which he said he had had for a number of years, but he did not recall how they had come into his possession. He was never a collector. All these badges are very well made and seem to have officer's quality finish. Six of these badges are shown in my scans:

K.O.Y.L.I. - This badge has (I think) an oxidised silver finish, with a silver rose in the centre on a black enamelled background. The badge is 36mm wide with a slider at the back.

EAST YORKSHIRE - In bright gilt finish, the central silver rose having a black enamelled backplate. again, a slider is fitted. 45mm across scroll

WEST YORKSHIRE - In standard silver and gilt finishes, the scroll has a separate overlay. Slider at the rear, which, as with all these badges has been given a silver finish. It must have been finished before the scroll overlay was fitted. Standard size badge.

SOUTH WALES BORDERERS - This badge has been die-struck in one piece, but ihas a silver, all-over finish, slider at the back and is smaller than normal, being 35mm across widest part.

BEDS & HERTS - Similar in consttuction to the SWB, but with a black enamelled disc behind the hart. and, note, the size is only 32mm across the scroll.

THE BUFFS - This is the standard pattern, but in a silver finish and with slider. 48mm at its widest point.

Does anyone have any suggestions are to what these badges are. I have not seen their like previously. The sizes in some cases is not right, the sliders - on badges of this quality - are odd and some of the sizes are non-standard. The batch includes the Cameron Highlanders, Seaforths and the Cameronians (this last a small pattern) all equipped with sliders.

The last three scans are on the continuation

[attachmentid=29888] [attachmentid=29887]

Shako,

Have seen these before, but never a run of 24, and was also told what they were for, but can't remember now. However think it be some promotional thing or something to do with these presentation sets that you see you sometimes saw advertised in military magazines. Can you remember the one they did with all of the minature campaign medals?

Obviously repro, but the nice officers silver/gilt finish would make them look nice in a frame, which you were persuaded to buy by the promoters.

Graham.

I think these were produced by the Franklin Mint in the 80s or maybe a little earlier. Each one came with a Crown size silver medallion. I can't remember how many were in the set but when you bought the whole series you got a 'free' wooden case to display them in.

I have the Buffs badge somewhere and it looks identical to the one you show.

Thank you very much for your comments, Graham, Jim, Keith - most enlightening! I had wondered if these badges were made for some promotional purpose, but I couldn't see anyone paying out for their manufacture, for they would not have been cheap to make. Only one of the badges has a maker's mark, that of J.R. Gaunt, on the slider. If indeed, the Frankilin Mint was responsible, then that would solve the problem, since, no doubt, they would charge accordingly.

The main thing that comes out of this, I think, is that the badges are repros, albeit of a superior quality and should not be included in my collection.

Thanks again,

Brian