News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Freikorps von Diebitsch Order of Battle

Dear gentlemen, while writing an article on a medal "Fuer gute Pferde Pflege" for my website I encountered a problem with listing Order of battele of the Freikorps von Diebitsch. Could you please help me with the correct list of units that Freikorps composed of?

That's what I have actually:

- Freiwilligen Bataillon 51,

- Freiwilligen Jäger-Bataillon Schneider,

- Maschinengewehr Kompagnie 52,

- Maschinengewehr Abteilung 3,

- Freiwilligen Artillerie-Abteilung 39 -----> Sometimes that sub-unit is referred to as "Freiwilligen Batterie 39". Which name is correct?

- Freiwilligen Eskadron 14,

- Freiwilligen Eskadron Jäger zu Pferde 8,

- Freiwilligen Feldbäckerei-Kolonne 14.

+ certain mysterious unit "4./19 von der 46.Landwehr-Division (2.Königlich Sächsische)" ---------> Any ideas what it could be???

However, Axis History website lists also "Freiwilligen Bataillon 52" but therte's no mention neither of FFBK14 nor of MG sub-units.

Here are his career highlights:

10.02.18-12.03.18 Commander of Gren. Regt. zu Pferde 3

18.04.13-1914 Adjutant in 1. Kavallerie Inspektion

10.04.06-18.04.13 squadron commander in Ulan R. 14

22.03.03-13.02.06 squadron commander in Gren. Regt. zu Pferde 3

17.09.87-17.05.02 squadron officer in Hus. R. 16

18.03.86 left the Corps of Cadets, attached to Husaren R. 16

Oberstlt. 22-03-18

Major 27-01-13

Rittm 17-05-02

Oberlt. 12-09-95

Leutn 17-09-87

I used the Ranglisten for the years 1888-1914 and also the Militär Wochenblatt 1886-1914 for dates of assignment.

For his dates of command of Gren. R.z.Pf. 3 and date of birth I used:

Günther Wegner "Die Stellenbesetzungen der aktiven Regimenter, Bataillone und Abteilungen von der Stiftung bzw. Aufstellung bis zum 26. August1939", Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1993 page 52.

- Freiwilligen Artillerie-Abteilung 39 -----> Sometimes that sub-unit is referred to as "Freiwilligen Batterie 39". Which name is correct?

According to the Truppenkartei Freiwilligenverbände 1918-1923- Deutsche Wehrkundearchiv, both are correct. They may have been separate units or it may be 2 names for the same unit. It's not clear.

The full title for both is:

Freiwilligen-Artillerie-Abteilung 39 Oberost

Freiwilligen-Artillerie-Batterie 39 Oberost

Thanks for clarification!

The book by Edgar von Schmidt-Pauli "Geschichte der Freikorps 1918-1924" (Stuttgart, 1936) also made reference of two more sub-units, viz. Nachrichten Abteilung and Kraftwagen-Kolonne that were also made part of Freikorps von Diebitsch.

Edited by Freiwillige