News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italian AL Valore Militare - colonial issue in silver for Libya - 9th Eritrean Battalion

• 2 weeks later...

Jackpot! Found his citation for the Al Valore Militare in Silver. It reads:

Barachi, Cassa

da Emberti (Hamasen)

Ascari

9th Battaglione Indigeni Eritrei,

No 19473 matricola

" In a furious counter-attack by the battalion with bayonets, he distinguished himself among the first in audacity and courage, falling victim to his duty."

So a casualty on top of it all.

• 4 weeks later...

P.S. I've included two original postcards with the listing I picked up recently. both depict the battle of zuetina. casa barachi earned his medal for leading a bayonet charge. no way of proving it but he may be depicted in the postcards.

• 1 year later...

BARACHI Cassa, from Emberti (Hamasen), ascari 9th batallion Eritrean native troops, n° 19441.

"In a furious batallion's bayonet counter attack, they distinguished themselves as first (can also be translated with " amongst the first") for audaciousness and courage, falling victims of their duty.

Zuetina, 12 March 1914

1915%20vol_1_00000030.jpg

• 6 years later...

In my collection I have a Al Valore Silver Colonial.

The reverse is lettered around the outer with "CIRENE 20 MAGGIO 1913".

Within the wreath is "NEGUSSE AILENCHIEL"

NEGUSSE is believe is a Ethopian family name.

I know Cirene was part of Libya and the medal seems to be as a result of the Italo-Turkish war.

The Ottoman's withdrew 18 Oct 1912 and the medal is dated 1913.

My guess is that there was some tidying up with the locals but can find little concerning the date.

Is anyone able to help expand the information on the medal reverse?

Regards John

Hello,

after the withdrawal of the Turks from Lybia, the territory was not in peace, but the struggle against rebel tribes continued.

During WW1 Lybia was almost completely lost, besides keeping control of Tripoli and the coastal cities and a few more settlements.

After the end of WW1, Italy took further action of both pacification and repression of insurgents and rebel tribes.

Most probably, Negusse Ailenchiel was a Zaptié (native, colonial Carabinieri) or a soldier from one of the battalions from Erithrea. Pity, his name is not present in the roll published by the Nastro Azzurro Institute. This roll is still incomplete, although listing almost all the decorated from 1833 onwards,

Would you please provide a picture of your interesting medal?

Best wishes,

Enzo (E.L.)

• 9 months later...