News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ODM of Solomon Islands

On 17 March 1981, Governor-General Sir Baddeley Devesi (q.v.) was empowered by Royal warrant to institute the regulation of an Order of Solomon Islands. This was amended on 5 October 1982 (although it came into force from 22 September 1982 and became known as The Order of Solomon Islands [Amendment] Regulations, 1982). An Honours and Awards Committee was created to make recommendations to the Prime Minister on appointments, terminations or restorations to the Order.

Star of Solomon Islands

The Star of Solomon Islands was intended to be an elite first class award, and Queen Elizabeth II was the first recipient in 1982. The Court of St. James has placed this award immediately above the Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. It has primarily been awarded to Heads of State and significant international leaders. No Solomon Islander holds this award.

Cross of Solomon Islands

The Cross of Solomon Islands was intended to be the second class of award for any Solomon Islander or expatriate for conspicuous and outstanding service. No more than ten can be awarded at one issue, and the intention was that there be no more than fifty members of the award at any one time. The Court of St. James has placed this award immediately above the Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

Solomon Islands Medal

The Solomon Islands Medal was intended to be the third class of award for any Solomon Islander or expatriate for distinguished service. There were categories for civilians and members of the disciplined forces, and the intention was that there not be more than forty awarded in any one year, or more than two hundred members at one time. The Court of St. James has placed this award immediately above the Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

• 5 years later...

Hello Gentlemen,

In 2017, the Solomon Islands instituted a commemorative medal, to be issued to foreign police officers, in recognition of 180 days continuous, or accumulated service as member of the RAMSI Participating Police Force ( PPF ), for service in Solomon Islands as part of RAMSI between 24 July 2003 & 30 July 2017; and have displayed diligent services.

Polices Forces from Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Tonga, Nauru, Federated States of Micronesia, Vanuatu, Palau Republic, Marshall Isl, Kiribati, Samoa, Tuvalu, Cook Islands & Niue were part of RAMSI.

About 632 New Zealand Police officer (or retired Police Officer), could get this medal. But they will not be able to wear the medal in uniform. Here is the story on the link below.

https://www.policeassn.org.nz/news/police-quest-to-find-former-ramsi-staff 

From Papua New Guinea Police Force, 32 Officers were awarded the medal. And Papua Police Officers are allowed to wear the medal while in uniform.

https://emtv.com.pg/rpngc-awards-officers-for-services-in-ramsi-exercise/ 

29 Police Officers from NPF ( Nauru Police Forces participated to RAMSI from 2003 to 2017), but apparently only 16 got awarded this medal.

For the Cook islands Police Force, 2 retired Police Officers were presented their medal in early 2020.

http://cookislandsnews.com/national/local/item/74719-two-former-cook-islands-police-officers-honoured/74719-two-former-cook-islands-police-officers-honoured 

The medal is 36 millimeters in diameters. Ribbon is 30 millimeters width. Weight : 22 Grammes.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Solomon Isl Royal Solomon Islands Police Force International Law Enforcement Cooperation Medal obverse.jpg

Solomon Isl Royal Solomon Islands Police Force International Law Enforcement Cooperation Medal reverse.jpg

Solomon Isl Royal Solomon Islands Police Force International Law Enforcement Cooperation Medal side.jpg

Solomon Isl Royal Solomon Islands Police Force International Law Enforcement Cooperation Medal case of issue.jpg

Solomon Isl Royal Solomon Islands Police Force International Law Enforcement Cooperation Medal inside its case 1.JPG

Edited by heusy68

This is the photo of the awards to the 2 Cook Islands Police Officers, just in case the link could one day be broken), Retired Senior Sergeant Ratai Kaivananga & Former Sergeant Ngaeikura There.

Interesting to note, that on right side of his Solomon Island Medal, he wear the Cook Islands Police LSGC Medal. This specific medal which was instituted , exist in 2 types ( Type 1 from 1964 to 1979 & Type 2 since 1980 ). The type 1 was clearly inspired from the New Zealand Police LSGC Medal, but the Type 2 differs.

Regards.

Emmanuel

Cook Islands Ceremony where 2 Cook Ils Police Officers were awarded Royal Solomon Island Police Medal.jpg

Cook Islands Police Medal Type 1.JPG

Cook Islands Police Medal Type 2.JPG

Edited by heusy68

• 8 months later...

Hello Tony,

Ounce this amazing group was sold on ebay. With a rare Solomon Islands Police LSGC Medal. 

I would have spotted it, and bought it, whatever the price, but the autralian ebay seller, was listing it on ebay as Solomon Isl Medals (with a S), so in my every 3 days random research, I use medal...not medals, so my laptop didn't catch it. But aussie are like that, they don't really care.

The ribbon of the Police LSGC is the exact opposite of the Police MSM. The Police MSM, I had 3 over the years that have pass through my hands (and I kept 1), but Police LSGC never....

Interesting to note that, to my opinion, the first to be striken ( I mean for MSM ), they had a high content of silver, later, it seems they were silver plated. I have observed similar pattern in manufacturing in different countries, incl in Africa ( I specifically think about Botswana, because for this country, I have kept some of the medals, in their 1st strike (heavy silver), and in later strike (lighter and silver plated). It's obvious.

If anyone got a Solomon Island Police LSGC for sale, I'am always open to buy.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Solomon Islands Medal Group obverse.jpg

Solomon Islands Medal Group reverse.jpg

Solomon Islands MSM obverse L25378.jpg

Solomon Islands MSM reverse L25378.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that Emmanuel. I have only ever seen one for sale (on ebay) several years ago. The sale was closing whilst I was on a train leaving London. My sporadic phone signal - courtesy of numerous tunnels - ensured I did not secure it. I still have nightmares.