News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross Award Citations With Recipient's Actions

Among the most interesting Iron Cross award documents are those that include written explanations for the recipient’s actions that won him the award, or Begründung (grounds). The written details could be recorded on a separate piece of paper but were often typed, or handwritten, on the document’s reverse. These citations offer a clear understanding of the deeds associated with the award of an Iron Cross, above and beyond the standard combination of studying the combination of unit and award date. The process was not very common but seems to have been done by a wide variety of Heer and Waffen-SS units throughout the war.

This example includes a brief, but interesting explanation for the recipient’s Iron Cross. It was awarded to Gefreiter Josef Gilek, a radioman and observer (Vorgeschobener Beobachter), and member of Artillerie-Regiment 188 for fighting against the Soviet airborne operation west of the Dnieper River on September 25, 1943. As a Vorgeschobener Beobachter, Gilek was employed with the responsibility of observing and reporting the impact of his unit’s artillery salvos. Given the surprise airborne operation conducted by the Soviets, it is likely that Gilek was engaged in close quarters fighting; a shift from his everyday duties since enemy soldiers had landed among troops deployed behind the Dnieper River. The details on the reverse specifically speak to the fact that the recipient was effective against Soviet paratroops.

Gefreiter Gilek did not only prove himself to be a courageous soldier as a V.B., but above all on 25.9.43 showed special worthiness during the successful defense against enemy paratroopers.

In this case, the award was made by 57. Infanterie-Division even though Artillerie-Regiment 188 was actually organic to 88. Infanterie-Division. The lending of units to different divisions was quite common throughout the war, and it was probably quite common at this point given the race to the Dnieper and beyond. Another interesting aspect of this citation are the various dates. The actions for which he won the award, the date it was processed on division level and then the date it was processed/completed by his Bataillon (this is when the details were added) are all included. These three dates shed some light on the award process of the Iron Cross in this case.

If you like this, please check out my "Begründung" webpage...

http://kleinekillpress.com/iron-cross-winners---begruumlndung.html

I have just updated it with a few new examples and will be adding more soon (and hope to, someday, improve on the website and make it more robust and presentable). There are also seven examples in my book (one of which is the ant-parachutist one shown above)...

http://kleinekillpress.com/premiere-book-release.html

Please enjoy and let me know what you think!

Edited by Brian R

• 1 month later...

Brian nice site and I like the award documents with the action. Here is mine for EKII spange. Jim

The wifes greatgrandfather got a Spange for his EK1 and 2, he was pretty chuffed as the doctors in the other divisions got the KVK1 and he got the EK1 spange as he was right up at the front and they kept themselves further back....

Very nice Spange citation, Jim (and apologies for my delay in responding).

I like this citation in that it is related to the first days of Fall Rot. I have seen a lot of EK documents and wound citations to soldiers who distinguished themselves and/or suffered during this fighting. The effectiveness of the French resistance surprised the Germans, especially since the French had suffered such losses during the preceding weeks.

• 3 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Thanks to Brian I was able to add this example to my GD collection. It is an EK I citation to an officer who served in a late war GD Kampfgruppen. Regiment Poeschmann was formed in March 1945 from soldiers who were undergoing training at a GD officer's school and was placed under the command of 15 Panzergrenadier Division. They went into combat on the Western Front against British troops in the vicinity of Hopsten in early April 1945.

The officer was responsible for defending a bridge just to the south of Hopsten and won the EK I for beating off a British armoured attack (44 RTR) coming from the direction of Dreierwalde, which is 8.5km to the southwest of Hopsten and with a road directly between the two leading to a bridge to the southwest of Hopsten.

The citation is signed by Oberst Wolfgang Gläsemer (RK & DKiG).

His actions were even mentioned in a subsequent GD Battalion report (complete with bombastic detail - I hardly think the soldiers were singing while under attack):

"...These losses seriously weakened the right wing of the 5.Kompanie and as a result a renewed enemy attack was successful. Under covering tank fire, the infantry broke into the main line of resistance on the company's right wing and took two prisoners.

Our artillery fire recognised the situation and blanketed the enemy tanks with well-aimed fire, causing them to leave the infantry and withdraw to the south.

Leutnant Järschke used this moment to lead two men in a counterattack on his threatened wing. His actions inspired his men who, though out of ammunition, had nevertheless stayed in their holes singing 'Wach am Rhein', and they advanced with him and cleared the break-in point in hand to hand combat. Forty-two enemy dead were counted after this engagement."

It is interesting to compare that description with that from the British side which claims that a GD Battalion gave them little trouble, although it does mention the Scots Greys & 155th Brigade meeting tough opposition south of Hopsten. which could actually refer to Leutnant Järschke's counterattack. As the British didn't break through Hopsten and reach their objective for 2 days the truth is probably somewhere between the two.

Whether the citation is slightly incorrect by mentioning he was to the south of the town or he moved across to the bridge to the southwest to help defeat the Allied thrust by 44 RTR is uncertain but as well as the bridge to the southwest of Hopsten there is also one to the south.

GL_signed_by_Oberst_Wolfgang_Glaesemer_fJärsehke_002_final.thumb.jpg.36c79f8150Hopsten_1a.thumb.jpg.c8746c4267457f44c48

Hopsten_1a1.thumb.jpg.dc45d62689c3398d55

Hopsten1b1.thumb.jpg.ff7d9de6963ef684079

Excellent presentation, Kevin. I like it a lot and enjoy learning about actions in northwest Germany in 1945 as it is a part of the war I am unclear on, when compared to so many other battles and campaigns.

Ya can't beat citations like this one!!