News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Newport County Borough Police spike top helmet

New acquisition this week to add to my collection. Although my second spiked helmet from this force, so rare that I could not say no to it.

A pre 1953 spike top helmet of the former Newport (Mon.) County Borough Police in Wales.

Newport put itself well and truly on the world map hosting the 2014 NATO Summit. The small force of Newport amalgamated with Monmouthshire County Constabulary in 1967 to form what is now the Gwent Police area.

Incidentally, the Mon. (short for Monmouthshire) was added to the force name to prevent what had become a problem when Newport in Monmouthshire was getting confused with Newport, Isle of Wight.

Now - a different 'beast' from the cap. Dignified - traditional - and in an emegency you whip the helmet off and pin your

adversary to a wooden fence. I have always liked this pattern of helmet since it kept the traditional chin chain in place.

You were lucky to find this. Best wishes Mervyn

Glad to say Mervyn, this is now the second Newport spiked helmet in my collection. I know....its just being greedy :unsure: . I regularly get offers to purchase police memorabilia....sellers contacting me through my website. Its not often that I go out and about looking any more Mervyn, as it seems to find me these days! Not the same level of fun I know, but still a good source of historical police items. Only yesterday agreed with a private seller to purchase some quite rare Victorian era police memorabilia. Hope you are keeping well my friend. Ross