News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with Uniform ID requested

Hello Gentlemen,

I've lurked these boards for a few years now, but I think this is my first post.

I'm only guessing this is Weimar, because the buttons are pebbled, which I believe is post-imperial era, yet this particular uniform has a stiff stand-up collar and no upper pockets, which makes me think it's pre-WWII, but I really don't know.

The uniform is more grey-green than the photos seem to indicate. Also the EK2 ribbon in the buttonhole is strange. It's 3cm wide and the white stripes go nearly to the edge, with just a tiny bit of black edging. The EK2 in the close-up was not part of the uniform, but I put it there for comparison to the buttonhole ribbon.

I am assuming by the shoulder straps and litzen that this was for a cavalry major, but again I don't know that. This is not my usual area of collecting.

Chris

Hi Chris!

It´s realy a strange one... The tunic is not an official pattern. Please have a look at the cuffs. Simplified cuffs with two buttons. The RW cuffs were "top-curved" (I don´t know a better english word for it...). Note my attachements.

The shoulder-boards look very new, even the number is missing. The yellow colour indicates cavalry, that´s right. But the Litzen look strange to me too. Those Litzen were upon a fieldgrey base, not upon a green one, like here.

It´s hard to say, but it looks to me like it could be an uniform of a theatre-set

Edited by The Prussian

Andy,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I suppose this could be a theatrical piece. It is well made, and does not appear to be an alteration of a pre-existing uniform.

I have photographed the undersides of the shoulder boards - do they look suspicious? Also, I have photographed the lining. I do not know if that a typical style for this period uniform.

Chris

• 5 months later...

Provisional Reichswehr had Polish cuffs,  which seems to have been phased out and replaced by the normal upturned cuffs within the first few years of the 1920's.

The tunic has issues, material seems ok but - collar is wrong for the tunic type, button count down the front is less than *usually* encountered on Weimar military/paramilitary tunics, cuff buttons are bizarre,  interior lining is not typical even for a private purchase tunic, no scalloped pockets, no breast pockets, no rear buttons at the waist.  Its pretty confused..

Are we sure the collar tabs and shoulder boards arent 1930's 3rd Reich?