News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Northumberland Hussars Dress Forage Cap

I apologize up front for the lack of a photo, but a one photo listing on Ebay UK shows a typical all scarlet hussar officer's dress cap, sans badge.

I emailed the seller regarding the ( unseen ) side buttons, and he replied they are for the Northumberland Hussars. According to my reference books, the cap for this regiment should be dark blue, with a light blue band & crown piping, not scarlet.

Is this correct? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

My references give the Staff pattern cap, adopted by officers in 1902, as being "army-blue with a French grey band and piping.

Is it a Staff pattern or a pillbox? I see a reference to the regimental band, c1903, wearing a scarlet pillbox, with silver band and Hussar figuring to the top. Non-musicians wore a blue pillbox with a lace band, Hussar figuring and piping for senior NCOs and a white band with only a button to the top for ORs.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

It's a WWII era or later dress forage cap, I believe, from the photos. Pretty certain it was mis-identified by the seller.

Thanks for your reply.

Oh, if I may, on the subject of Yeomanry officer dress caps, I have one for the Ayrshire Yeomanry, sans badge. I cannot locate an officer's cap badge anywhere. Any suggestions?

It's a WWII era or later dress forage cap, I believe, from the photos. Pretty certain it was mis-identified by the seller.

Thanks for your reply.

Oh, if I may, on the subject of Yeomanry officer dress caps, I have one for the Ayrshire Yeomanry, sans badge. I cannot locate an officer's cap badge anywhere. Any suggestions?

Try asking on the brit badge forum, though they might not be cheap. I found the one I need for my officers Royal Scots Greys SD cap but at £75 I had to turn it down.

Try asking on the brit badge forum, though they might not be cheap. I found the one I need for my officers Royal Scots Greys SD cap but at £75 I had to turn it down.

Thanks, I belong to that forum, so I'll inquire. Actually, I have a Royal Scots Greys officer's dress cap badge, but I want to keep it for now, in the rather slim hope I find a cap for it.

I could possibly been interested in a trade for a GeoV or GeoVI Household Cavalry officer's dress foragecap badge. I have a Life Guards cap, with GeoVI cypher side buttons, but no badge. I 've seen them listed for 150 pounds!!! I will not pay that much.

BobS

• 1 year later...

A belated question; is French grey actually just a shade of light blue, or is it more of a blue grey shade?

BobS