News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Danish Medal Collection

Thank you Michael,

Unfortunately Rockwood bought them from a supposed reputable source and as I had to go in for an operation on the 17th October I didn't have the time to properly check them. I will probably withdraw them as they are quite dangerous.

Many thanks again,

Paul

Thanks Paul, that's good news. It is still an impressive collection.

To prove my point, this is the difference between the original (to the left) and the copy (to the right):

1. Low quality lions - especially the head and mane

2. Sometimes a heart is missing (not always)

3. A grainy track close to the rim

4. Low quality oak leaves

5. Font used is too big

There is a rumour here that a specific medal mounter had a 'habit' of swapping the original with a copy when soldiers had their medals mounted. Since most soldiers are not medal experts, it would go unnoticed.

I really hope it's only a rumour...

I have also seen this medal (i.e. the copy) being offered 'made to measure', so you could have any mission engraved that you feel you 'earned'.

What has the world come to...?

/Michael

Edited by Great Dane

Grrr. It's really annoying as I have been looking for pictures of those for ages and now some come along which I can use (Morton & Eden are kind enough to permit me to use their images on my site, you see)... they turn out to be fakes :(

Thanks for the masterclass on what to look out for, Michael.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Sorry, my bad. I found it (pages 16 - 30) in catalog 71.

A little diasapponted not to see the Slesvig war medals. :) 

The 2 single war medals are not of much rarity, but the "double medal" was only struck in 3000 pcs, i.e. to those who participated in both 1848 and 1864 wars in frontline units. One of the few Danish medals, that was actually given to real combatants in a real war. 

Russel Furtado wrote an article on these medals in JOMSA in 2010. 

Yes, she says, looking it up.

Furtado, R.G. (2010) 'Danish War Medals for the Wars of 1848-1850 and 1864'. JOMSA 61(3):14-24

Fascinating article with infromation about the conflicts for which they were awarded, the development of the medal and different varieties...

Thanks for reminding us of this interesting auction which gave the opportunity to look up the medal below. However, I was unfortunately not able to find it there. It would pobalbly fit in between numbers 97 and 98?

Does anyone have an idea of the rarity and value?

If this is indeed "possibly the most complete Danish medal Collection" does that mean this one is rare or did I just fail to detect it? 

P1040436.JPG

P1040437.JPG

Edited by saxcob

What you have is the 16 years service cross for NCO's missing it's proper suspension. According to Stevnsborg 800 crosses were made between 1831-1839 on the Royal Mint, as stated in their protocols. The number of crossed produced between 1817-1831 is not known. But using common sense it could be assumed that a larger number would have been produced during the first 14 years than in the later 8 years? 

So not super rare, but not a cross that often appears outside of Denmark either. 

Hope this helps?

/Lars

Danish collectors might be interested that the feature article in the September-October 2016 issue of JOMSA: The Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America is "The Danish Defense Medal and Its Offshoots" by Ed Emering and Mads Rasmussen (p. 4 - 22 with 26 illustrations).  The issue goes to the printer on 1 September and will be in the hands of the membership approximately the third week of September.

Gunner 1

• 1 year later...