News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

November 7th 1914 -Surrender of the Kiautschou Protectorate (Tsingtau)

Claudius

On the Western Front where both sides thought they would win and would be home by Christmas, the German garrison in China knew they wouldn't be able to hold out for even that long -and they were correct.

100 years ago today on November 7th, 1914 the German gunboat "SMS Jaguar" was scuttled along with other colonial assets and all Central Power's forces in the Kiautschou Protectorate (Tsingtau) surrendered to the besieging Allies.

The defenders were marched to the docks and loaded on ships for interment in Japan. In 20 camps across three of Japan's home islands they were POWs, but lived like settlers.

They developed societies in their communities consisting of butchers, bakers, newspaper and art printers, theaters with actor troops, musicians and gymnastic teams with competitions and prizes.

They had gardeners and grew produce for sale, both inside and to the local Japanese. And everywhere they could touch they sought to make improvements to their lives and those of the people around them. Even designing and help build a new stone bridge, applicably called by the Japanese "German Bridge".

They would live in their walled communities until 1920 when they were officially released and allowed back home. Some found a new home in Japan and did not return to Germany.

It is their story, and the stories inside the stories that continues to fascinate me. It is among the reasons behind why I collect the documents and artifacts from that campaign and the subsequent internment.

100 years ago -a long time ago and not so long ago.

(I realize that today is actually November 10th)