News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bytown Museum Truncheon

I had been reading Meryvn's book "The Policeman's Lot" the other week and came to the section on Canada. He spoke of the lone truncheon he had been able to find, on display at the Bytown Museum in Ottawa. They described it for him, but there was no picture.

Well, I happen to live in Ottawa and so made inquiries with the collections manager this week. The truncheon is on display at the Canadian Museum of History until 2015, but they kindly sent over a photograph.

Nightbreak - wonderful. This truncheon has worried me since I first found trace of it. This was carried by the Beadle or,

perhaps the Camp Constable of the Bytown Military Base - the largest British Camp in Canada at that time. For a time

scale we must look at the truncheon - clearly marked for King William 4th (1830-37) and carrying his slab sided Crown.

This was a Civilian appointment and his job was to maintain order amongst the civilian 'hangers-on' - of whom there were

probably a few thousand. The truncheon is very reminiscent of the Special Constables' truncheon in use in Britain at that time.

The probability is that it was made in Canada at the time of the appointment - and to my knowledge is the only one of it's

kind. This period is only some 20 years after the 1812 War with the USA - so, Britain maintained a large Force in Canada.

Thankyou for taking the trouble to track it down - I shall look forward to any other info. you can dig-up. Mervyn