News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Research help please - Liverpool Reg. gnomes!

Hi all,

I picked up some British Victory medals and among of them there was as well a Victory medal named to "8679 C.SJT.H.BANKS L'POOL R"

I got his MIC (x2) and medal roll inputs from ancestry but instead of straight forward research, it is getting complicated now:

He was career soldier, most likely, based on his number, enlisted ca. 1903 (info provided by one another collector, based on Paul Nixon's book).

He entered into war 12 August 1914 (so one of the first BEF man).

But his medal index card shows that his name was Harry BANKS alias SOUTHERN.

Attached is picture of original letter from 1918 that shows him as a BANKS, holding rank Colour Sergjant. After the war, most likely when the new service numbers were allocated, he was CQMS with the service number 3757334.

I think it is very unusual to see that the career soldier, holding so high NCO rank was using alias name. I am just confused how to research that medal any future.

Now, there can be as well primary source available and I was hoping to win a scrapbook that I unfortunately didn't win (if any of you got it, please let me know):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Great-War-Scrapbook-WW1-Kings-Liverpool-Regiment-/281495260625?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item418a6ccdd1

What are the chances to pick up a single medal and in the meantime some of his docs are up on sale on ebay??? :whistle:

Anyway, why he used alias when he most likely served 1903 until at least 1920 (new service number), Also did h received any other awards then Mons star trio (perhaps Long Service and Good Conduct medal). Any ideas would be great!

Kind Regards,

Timo

Edited by Noor

'Tommy'

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
    The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
    The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die [Rudyard Kipling]

In many respectable households in Victorian England - and not by any means just the titled ones - having a son join the Army was considered only slightly less shameful than having a daughter go 'on the game'. It's referred to in both histories and fiction and might very well explain why a young man of the middle class, or perhaps from a chapel going family, would choose not to use his own name on enlistment. Or perhaps he'd had a run in with the law and wanted a fresh start. Fascinating puzzle. Please keep us posted on any more finds, Timo.

Peter