News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brunswick Waterloo Medal to Hussar Regt....help with research please

arrestanddevelopment

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Recently bought a nice Brunswick Waterloo to HEINR .DENICKE or (Denicre, as wear on letter)

Hussars regt.

Just wondered if anyone had any info on him , or advice reference research etc..anything is much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Hello Steve,

You may be onto a winner!

Just checked the Brunswick casualty lists on (http://www.denkmalprojekt.org/verlustlisten/vl_hzgl-braunschw_inf-reg_92_1809-1815.htm) and there is a Hussar Heinrich Deneke, born in Kreisensen, who was killed at Quatre Bras on 16 June 1815. He is listed as serving with the Husaren-Rgt.

b3551fa61debe66f2a892c625a8006c4_zps5d74

Spelling is close to the one you give and you say the writing is worn....so, seems very possible.

Nice Christmas present if he is your man!

All the best,

Owen

Hi , thanks Owen , yes it would be nice !! spelling is clear up to the letter "K" in DENIC "K" E , but I am pretty sure it is HUSSAR HEINRICH DENICKE ....(thought surname could be DENICRE ,but with his main name being Germanic , I doubt this is correct ) so I think this one boils down to if anyone has the Brunswick Waterloo roll for the Hussar Regt ??? as that would confirm !! ..., wow and wouldn't it be a find if that's him !! hope someone would be able to confirm !!

Thanks

Steve

Edited by arrestanddevelopment

Hi Steve,

With you being certain up to and including the letter C, I am a bit less confident about this being your man. I think these casualty lists were transcribed exactly from the Brunswick roll.....but, maybe there was a transcription error, or difference in variants of spelling for the same man, that we see with the earlier British medals.

I wrote to the State Archives in Wolfenbuttel, who hold the Brunswick roll, for two of my Brunwickers. They replied with copy roll entries for both men, confirming that one of them was KIA at Waterloo (Johann Siebrecht). Anyway, worth writing for your man, but you might need a bit of German language help (both in writing and in understanding their reply) and there is a research fee to pay, but it was less than £20.

I wrote a bit about contacting the archives in this thread: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/54087-brunswick-waterloo-medal/?hl=krug

Also worth checking the excellent waterloo medal database http://britishmedals.us/files/Waterloo1411.xlsx

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards, Owen

• 6 years later...

That is an interesting question, if I see through the lists of the waterloo medals given, I do find 4 Deneckes in lists of the Husars: 

Georg Denecke, born in Helmstedt

Heinrich Denecke, born in Kreiensen, killed in action

Friedrich Denecke, born in Blankenburg, dead

Georg Denecke, born in Hessen ( a small village at the border of the duchs of Brunswick)

So Owen was right, but the spelling in his source was wrong! 

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

• 1 month later...
    On 09/10/2021 at 01:43, TJLA said:

I've been trying to find if there are rolls for the Brunswick medals. Are these the rolls you are referring to? Where can I find them? Thanks

Hello TJLA,

if you are talking about the waterloo medals, then yes they still exists in the archive of the duchy of Brunswick located in Wolfenbüttel. See the photo attached.

If you are talking about medals from Brunswick in general then there are more lists to be found on nearly every medal that was founded but all at different sources. 

waterloo medal list.png

1 hour ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

Hello TJLA,

if you are talking about the waterloo medals, then yes they still exists in the archive of the duchy of Brunswick located in Wolfenbüttel. See the photo attached.

If you are talking about medals from Brunswick in general then there are more lists to be found on nearly every medal that was founded but all at different sources. 

Hi BlackCowBoy, 

Yes the Brunswick Waterloo medals, I'm looking for an online resource that contains the full medal roll. Like the English Waterloo medal the rolls and other information is digitized and easily available online, I am unable to find any such resource for Brunswick. 

In 2012 member Nunquam retrorsum stated he had the rolls and they were working on publishing a book but he has gone completely silent despite all the interest shown. I understand I can write for each medal to the state archive, but want access to the full roll for my own research purposes. I have not even found any partial type rolls.

thnx

5 hours ago, TJLA said:

Hi BlackCowBoy, 

Yes the Brunswick Waterloo medals, I'm looking for an online resource that contains the full medal roll. Like the English Waterloo medal the rolls and other information is digitized and easily available online, I am unable to find any such resource for Brunswick. 

In 2012 member Nunquam retrorsum stated he had the rolls and they were working on publishing a book but he has gone completely silent despite all the interest shown. I understand I can write for each medal to the state archive, but want access to the full roll for my own research purposes. I have not even found any partial type rolls.

thnx

Well I was faced with the same topic for my books on the orders and medals of Brunswick. I thought on publishing the waterloo medal owners along to all the owners of the order Henry the Lion but decided against it, it would have meant another 250 pages or more on the names, units, etc ... I can tell that the book / lists shown in my last posting still is one of the most read lists in the archive. 

But sorry to say that, there is no digital version of it available. I might bring out an adendum to my books and maybe I should insert the list od all waterloo medal owners in it, as I have the whole list on my PC.

might be an idea to follow on. 

Edited by BlackcowboyBS