News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ok, here is my dilemma:

I'm looking for the name of a commissioned soldier, photo states that he was born in 1885, was in GFR (I assume this is Garde-Füsilier-Regiment) in 1910, transferred to the Fliegertruppe in 1916, and was awarded both classes of the EK and well as the Zähringer-Löwen Kommandeur Klasse (not sure if 1st or 2nd class) with swords.

Is there a roll of recipients for this award? If so, I am hoping that it can be cross-checked against the pre-war officers of this regiment. I know it's a long-shot, but I can see that there are some pretty nifty guys out there....

Thanks & regards,

Matt.

Matt,

It might be useful to see the photograph. However, a couple of possibilities:

Hauptmann d.R. Walter Mackenthun who had the EK1 and a BZ3bX but was born in 1882

and

Leutnant d.R. Fritz-Boglislaw v. Somnitz who was born in 1885 and entered the Fliegertruppe in 1916, had the EK1 but no Zähringer Lion.

Regards

Glenn

Hello Matt:

The Officer in the photo is actually wearing an Order of the Zahringen Lion knight's Cross 1st or 2nd Class with swords. He may have also been awarded a Commander's Cross, but that is not what he is wearing in this photo.

I can't tell from the photo, but are the epaulette insignia propellers with wings?

Best regards,

Edited by Schießplatzmeister

Matt,

He is not wearing the collar litzen of a Garde-Füsilier-Regiment officer or for that matter the Garde-Fußartillerie-Regiment.

The uniform is so generic, that apart from the shoulder board insignia, he could be from anywhere.

Regards

Glenn

Hello!

First we might know, for what G.F.R. stands... There was no Garde-Füsilier-Regiment!

Then I´m not sure with the Zähringer Löwe. Must he be from Baden ton waer it or could he came from another state?

The uniform: Air service uniform without Litzen. So we have two possibilities:

Bavarian (they didn´t had Litzen), maybe his cocarde is bavarian

Or he was transfered to the air-service, so he would have worn his old uniform but with the air-service shoulder boards.

Edited by The Prussian

Andy,

I have always been impressed with your knowledge of the Prussian army. So, I am rather confused by your statement above that "there was no Garde Füsilier Regiment" There certainly was. What makes you say that it did not exist??

Andy