News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Metroplitan Police postings 1886-1891?

Ladies/Gents,
    Can anyone advise me on how Met Police posting worked between 1886 & 1891.
    I have a medal to a bobby who joined up in 1886 and was posted to C Div. In 1888 he was posted to J Division, then in 1890 he was posted E Division. I know he was married and had three children by 1891. Would this have any bearing on his postings. All the Divisions are relatively close together, but J Division appears to have been huge in those days. Is it possible that he could have been posted somewhere like Chigwell or is it more likely that he would have been kept more centre, given his other postings? I also note that he had two collar numbers whilst in J Division 223J/502J would this give any indication as to where in J Division he was stationed (or indeed his other collar numbers whilst stationed at different Divisions)? Finally why did they call J Division Bethnal Green Division, when it did in fact cover an area far removed from Bethnal Green?
    Was it normal practice for a married officer to be moved round so often in such a short space of time?
    Gordon.
    Edited by bigjarofwasps

'C' Division is very central and he probably asked to transfer when he married. 'J' Division was not built-up to the extent it is today

and probably accomodation was easier - also, it may have been where his wife came from.

Police in those days lived clos to their Stations - transport was difficult and wages low - so, fares would be a problem. With regard

to his two different numbers - these would indicate a promotion of some sort. There were in those days appointments below the

rank of Sergeant. Most Divs. reserve the first 50 of their numbering system for Sgts.. Numbers once allocated were usually for life

on that Div. unless promoted. Constables and Sergeants were expected to live close to their Station - senior officers felt their presence in the tenements of the time, helped to keep control.

With regard to being moved around - usually it is because a transfer is asked for - usually on marriage. The alternative is that

he was not liked and was transferred to get rid of him. I hope not, but it is a possibility. The men were in an unforgiving system

and many officers were quite dictatorial. Hope this helps a little - other opinions will be welcomed. Mervyn