News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help on UK uniforms, badges, patches

Good Morning Prussian.......

There is no one book that can cover all you request.......

The best book for cap badges though are Volume One and Two of Kipling and King.......

Here is a link.......

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1300071334&searchurl=sortby%3D1%26an%3DKipling+and+King

I also suggest you look at this website......

http://www.naval-military-press.com/

Best of Luck......

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE

Any recommendations, please?

Not really, I find it all very complicated. I've just found out that my grandad who drove a tank wouldn't have worn a tank badge but would have sleeves full of other badges, shoulder titles, formation sign 79 Armd Div, formation sign 31 Armd Bde, RAC Arm of Service strip and a regimental flash. Blimey, he wouldn't have been able to bend his arm to sip a beer.

Is there any period in particular you're looking for? If it's WWI please let me know if you ever find anything.

Edit: just seen Mike's post, I was talking about cloth badges, not cap badges. You should find something on cap badges as Mike suggests.

Edited by Tony

Hello Mike and Tony!

Thank you for your quick responses. Well, my main interest is WWI, but because I don´t have any infos about those insignia, I´m interested generally.

I do have the Osprey book about the insignia of WWI. Maybe I had the wrong question. What about like this? History of british formations and uniforms in the 20th century?

Well my answer would still be the same......

For Badges WW1 and earlier Vol. 1 of Kipling and King, Vol. 2 is from end of WW1 to present.....

and

Naval and Military Press is your best source for all things British......

Mike

Hi Jerry!

I´ve heared about that book. It sounds very interesting.I have read another book from Brian Davis. Very good stuff!

It is the best all in one book for the period, it covers every aspect, badges, cloth patches, uniforms, helmets, webbing, everything, though for each individual aspect there are probably better books, but for an all in one book it cannot be beaten.

It is the best all in one book for the period, it covers every aspect, badges, cloth patches, uniforms, helmets, webbing, everything, though for each individual aspect there are probably better books, but for an all in one book it cannot be beaten.

Jerry is quite correct; the Davis book is very good. As for Kipling & King, I have always felt they are priced too high, and Vol.2, in particular, has very mediocre illustrations, especially for the price.

@ Prussian: Are you interested in cloth insigina, metal insignia or both? The Davis book appears often on militaria markets in Holland, I could keep an eye out for you.

@ Jerry B: I use now the revised edition of this valued book. First edition 1983, 2nd edition 1992 with ammendments and corrections. ISBN 1-85409-159-X

Hi Odulf!

No, i don´t collect any special. I have a few british medals, so I bought the cap badges of the units of the wearers. To collect, I need some more informations, that´s why asked about the book.

Thanks a lot for your offer!!!

@ Prussian: Are you interested in cloth insigina, metal insignia or both? The Davis book appears often on militaria markets in Holland, I could keep an eye out for you.

@ Jerry B: I use now the revised edition of this valued book. First edition 1983, 2nd edition 1992 with ammendments and corrections. ISBN 1-85409-159-X

Hi,

I have the first edition. I also have his book on cloth insignia which covers that aspect in more detail.

As Bob mentioned earlier K&K has poor quality illustrations and though still considered by many to be the textbook for cap badges, to me it is not good enough as besides the poor ilustrations it also does not have enough textual information on variations, dates, changes in fittings etc and I would not recommend it except to merely just have it if money is not an issue.

For info on metal shoulder titles, I would advice:

"Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles" by R.A. [Ray] Westlake (1996)

A very interesting book covering all British Army, RN and RM metal shoulder titles from c. 1900 on.

All sorts of variations are pictured and with many details about the units, regiments etc.

One of the very best books of this kind and good value for money!

For info on metal shoulder titles, I would advice:

"Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles" by R.A. [Ray] Westlake (1996)

A very interesting book covering all British Army, RN and RM metal shoulder titles from c. 1900 on.

All sorts of variations are pictured and with many details about the units, regiments etc.

One of the very best books of this kind and good value for money!

Indeed, I have this one as well, great for ST's.

For collar badges Churchills british infantry collar badges is the one to get, but get the original edition as I have the reprint and the images are often too dark to see clearly, though is better than nothing.

For cloth formation badge any of the books by Cole are a must have, heraldry at war for instance or badges on battledress.