News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South Africa takes on the SS, and gets a street named after....

The 6th SA Armoured Division were under US command and performed exceedingly well. They came up with the SS in Northern Italy

and were accompanied by SA Infantry - including the Kimberley Regt. Some years ago we had the only US Cross of Honour to be awarded to a South African. This is the next highest to the Congressional MofH - which cannot be given to non US citizens.

I have not read the above post , however, the SS had been told to form defensive line positions to allow their main forces to escape.

I have forgotten the name of the young officer - however, I am sure it will be available. He was leading a platoon of his men and they

came across machine gun positions. He held his men back and advanced alone - it is recorded on his Award Certificate that he took

out 6 mg positions. He returned to his men and led them forward - he captured a further mg position and his platoon of some 20 men took over 80 SS troops. A very gallant affair. The US initially awarded a Silver Cross , however, when the medal was awarded in

South Africa some three years later, it had been up-graded to the Cross of Honour. The British awarded him a Mentioned in Despatches - this was because he was under US command. Still a miserable award - this was undoubtedly a VC action. Mervyn