News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Documents - war correspondence or not?

Kerry Langford

Hey guys,

This is more for anyone's interest than anything else.

I have a fair number of documents like these. still obviously have to have them interpreted as I have no idea how to speak or read French. oldest date so far seems to be late 1700's so we'll see how far we get with this.

If there is anything of value that I come across in the next year I will definitely post. This is unfortunately going to take a while and I still have to locate someone in Cape Town who would be interested to take this on as a project. If anyone knows of a body who would care to look at them I would obviously be most grateful.

Cheers.

Funny. This are two letters recommending somebody for an employment ...

In the second one, the general tells the marshal he doesn't know who is this guy, but he transmits to him anyway.... Chance of success looks like zero.

Regards

Very interesting.

This is a document from 1797-98, year VI of the French Revolution, releasing from duty a soldier from the 1st Battalion of the National Guard of Paris. His name is Jacques Lesage, and he was a Corporal in the 5th Company.

Two years later, in 1799, this troop supported the General Bonaparte's coup in Paris which paved the way to his accession to power and later the throne of Emperor...

Regards

Bison

Edited by Bison