News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross 2nd Class from the Sitzkrieg

Here is an interesting Iron Cross award - one you won't find too often. It is an award document for the Iron Cross Second Class to a Gefreiter from Infanterie-Regiment 266, 72. Infanterie-Division. The division was stationed on the French border during the winter of 1939/40 and the "phoney war". It was processed on OKH level on March 6, 1940 and includes the signature of von Brauchitsch. Given the division's deployment in this area at the time, it is likely that this award was made as result of border skirmishes during the Sitzkreig, a rather unique award and bit of circumstances.

Yes, it would be SO COOL to find the Vorschlagsliste that detailed or described why an award like this was made. These Sitzkrieg awards are interesting - I actually have three of them - but I have found virtually nothing out there that describes, in any kind of detail, the skirmishes and actions of 1939/40. The most information I have ever seen is related to the initial fighting, when France actually invaded the Saar. See this...

Dated October 26, 1939, this award of the Iron Cross Second Class is likely related to the French invasion of the Saarland. The French were to aid the Poles by launching an attack across the German border that could possibly divert troops away from invasion of Poland. The attack began on September 7th and continued through September 30. The German 1. Armee was unable to put up any significant resistance and pulled back to positions along the West Wall. Overall, the French advanced about five miles but decided to pull back due to fears of a German counteroffensive once the campaign in Poland had come to an end. From October 16 through 24, the Germans in the area launched a number of local counterattacks and pushed the French back across their own border. Among the troops fighting at the time was Uffz. Johannes Böll of Infanterie Regiment 172, 75. Infanterie Division. His award document is signed by Generalleutnant Ernst Hammer, division commander from September 1939 through Septemebr, 1942.

Böll went on to win the Iron Cross First Class in August, 1940 following the campaign in the West. He was, however, killed in action on the Western Front in the fall of 1944 while fighting with 15. Armee.

... but at OKH level... that must have been something special... even that early?

I have scans of a Regimental Tagesbefehl from IR 181 that specifically mentions awards made/authorized by von Brauchitsch at OKH dated October 23, 1939. The awards were related to fighting on October 17th and 18th against French troops and the EK doc (belonging to one of the soldiers mentioned in the memo) was, indeed, signed by von Brauchitsch. So, yeah, I would imagine there was some great interest in the fighting and skirmishes in this neck of the woods by the highest authorities given the potential ramifications of a major fight with the French at the time. I would post the scans but they belong to another collector.