News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some Medal Bars

Ralph A

I am not sure on medal bars in this post..

..but I was surprised to see this 1st lt. with a "7th" class Sacred Treasure. His hat looks lighter, probably a Imperial guard or something, forgot the name.

Edited by hc8604

I'll have to think on the third bar. It goes with my cased Golden Kites and award documents, and the veteran's memorabilia (a pin, a bowl, a cup) I have with the medal's likeness on them.

As for the other two (Frankenstein) bars, I don't see anyone doubting the authenticity of the medals themselves. After combing through domestic dealer's sites, I have come up with a "retail" number for each. I'll probably eBay them "Buy It Now" for the aggregate price of the individual medals... less the price of the common, low value Red Cross medals.

Basically, there will be two chances to own seven authentic Japanese medals for the price of six, with hangers thrown in gratis. I'll also add the ribbon bar to one of the listings. Naturally, I'll be sure to alert potential buyers that the bars are suspect in construction per the information gleaned from this thread, and my rationale on pricing.

Thanks for the help! I'll get back to you on the third bar soon.

while I respect JapanX enormously, please dont tear those bars apart yet. ive seen too many odd things pop up in photos over the years. I have @ 100 Japanese medal portraits and am going to have a look at them tonight. This thread has really focused my attention on Japan, which I have tended to ignore after 1918 historically.

Edited by Ulsterman

I would NEVER tear apart a bar of any sort, Frankenstein or no.

But I would sell it for the aggregate price of its parts. I'm of the school that believes (most) medal bars are worth that only, w/o a premium for the mounting. . . however that is a topic for another thread.

But looky what I found (below). It came with the second bar I posted, above.

So... someone took the trouble to cobble together a medal bar AND a matching ribbon bar?

Hmmm.... the plot thickens....

Interesting ribbon bar ;)

So... someone took the trouble to cobble together a medal bar AND a matching ribbon bar?

Or someone created medal bar after this ribbon bar.

Could this bar be an original one?

I guess there is a probability ...

Edited by JapanX

I think the precedence in the 4-place ribbon bar in post #1 is also strange?

As for the precedence - both bars are against official order of predecedence ;)

The ribbon bar for the first one looks totally wrong. Red cross medal before the incident medal?! :speechless: