News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Princess Mary Xmas tin 1914

Jerry B

A seaonal post with the anniversary of these tomorrow.

Sadly it is empty but they could come with tobacco and cigarettes and a pipe and lighter, a card or other versions with sweets for non smokers and spices for others were produced.

Showing mine with a period Xmas card and a mini Mons star medal trio.

Edited by Jerry B

The Queen's Christmas broadcast had Her seated next to a side table - in Honour of the WW1 She had framed photographs of

King George 5th and of Queen Mary - who were of course Reigning at that time. In front of the Frames there's a 1914 Princess

Mary Christmas tin on a stand. A very thoughtful gesture. Mervyn

I was able to get an original tin from out West [Canada] and two sets of replica contents: a packet each of tobacco and cigarettes, a Christmas Card frpm Princess Mary, a message from HRH King George and photos of he, his wife and Princess Mary. Bought them from an organization in the UK associated with one of the veterans' groups. A very nice packet for my 'Christmas in the Trenches' event two weeks ago.

I don't have a tin ................ but I do have this !!

I really like the bullet pencils, I'm not sure if all the tips were silver but I do know those stamped sterling fetch a premium. While sorting through some stuff recently I found one I didn't know I had, it made my day.

Tony

Tony - if you are a collector, then I think almost every day is like Christmas. I know I am always coming across items that

I had forgotten in drawers and cupboards. Best wishes for 2015. Mervyn

The flip side is knowing you have something and not being able to find it to save your life. I have several medals that are "missing" since emptying the safe deposit box when we moved from Virginia. I think the wife put them someplace... :wacky:

Tony - if you are a collector, then I think almost every day is like Christmas. I know I am always coming across items that

I had forgotten in drawers and cupboards. Best wishes for 2015. Mervyn

The older I get the more that seems to happen.

The flip side is knowing you have something and not being able to find it to save your life. I have several medals that are "missing" since emptying the safe deposit box when we moved from Virginia. I think the wife put them someplace... :wacky:

:) so true, especially after a move.

Here's the pencil I didn't know/forgot I had, not as crisp as Robin's but has the Sterling stamp on its tip.

what do the repro tins look like? When I was a kid these were common-25p at most. I knew old guys who still kept their cigarettes and tobacco in them.

25p or 5 shillings? Wish I knew about them when they were that cheap.

I can’t find a photo but tins with 1914 in place of Princess Mary in the middle of the lid are, as far as I know, from India. These have been around a while, are nothing like the originals and probably not made to deceive.

Ha, found one on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-1914-SOILED-BRASS-CHRISTMAS-BOX-NOT-THE-QUEEN-MARY-ONE-/221646920382?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item339b2f9abe

Then there’s the Daily Mail tin, I’ve only seen pictures online and on the surface they look pretty good however, a good clear photo will dispel any hopes of it being original and when opened it becomes obvious they haven’t made to deceive. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DAILY-MAIL-PRINCESS-MARY-CHRISTMAS-BOX-REPLICA-TIN-WW1-WORLD-WAR-ONE-/301449995705?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item462fd1e5b9

There are probably others but the above are the ones I know of.

I didn’t know originals were available on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Princess-Marys-Christmas-Gift-Decorative/dp/B00OLSVPWY

Here is one of the variant tins. On the Great War Forum it is claimed that they were a private purchase version made at the time, though others state that they are a modern (1970's) fake. Obviously they do not intend to directly mimic the originals as they are very different. The example I have is certainly of some age as it was very badly corroded inside and part of it is broken, though perhaps that merely reflects a poor quality manufacture.

That's interesting, I've never actually seen this type in the flesh and was told they're modern. Being plated isn't the sort of thing a faker would do to keep costs down so I'll have to keep my eyes open in future instead of just dismissing them.

Tony