News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

a series of imperial german postcards...

Hello Joe:

These are really great cards! I think that interesting items like this are too often overlooked. I find the card showing the encirclement of the Russian detachment in the Carpathians most interesting. This is a soldier's worst nightmare. Fighting on a mountainside on a narrow trail in the snow with enemy forces above AND below. The chances of surviving this sure look remote for them!

I'm glad that you found these for a good price at the SOS where in my opinion too many things were terribly overpriced. A good find!

Best regards,

"SPM"

tony and SPM -

i am pleased you like them! it is nice to be

able to find a legitimate piece of history and

not need a bank loan for it!

my mentor did the translating. he insists,

however, that i will continue to get better

if i continue practicing. we read/translate

sections of nimmergut on a fairly regular basis.

the sutterlein and scrawling on docs/cards is

not something i'm too hopeful about...

joe

Guest Rick Research

It was not the murdered OF the ship "Baralong" but those murdered BY the Baralong--

that was the most notorious of many English "Q-ships" which lured submarines fighting by the then suicidally restrictive legal rules of engagement in close and then popped out guns and sank the surfaced, law-of-the-sea-abiding submarines.

In this particularly notorious case, the BRITISH atrocity was the stuff Germany was so often accused of--

on 19 August 1915, U-27 under Kapit?nleutnant Bernhard Wegener had lawfully stopped the British army mule transport "Nicosian," and was preparing to sink her, having ascertained that she was a legal military target, and after getting the crew and passengers aboard off safely. "Baralong" came up and sank the U-27 (the fault of its lookouts paying insufficient attention***).

German survivors were shot in the water. More were gunned down attempting to climb the Nicosian's ratlines... and in the most blood-curdling part of this stain on the Royal Navy's honor, the few cowering German sailors who were hunted down below the Nicosian's decks were butchered in cold blood.

Witnesses report at least 24 German were murdered.

British wartime embargo on the story was foiled when American passengers on the "Nicosian" returned home and reported the incident.

***Since the Baralong had steamed up under the American flag, this led to a brief frost in relations between the two nation's and may explain the suicidally gentlemanly Wegener's lack of caution-- he had assumed that the "neutral" vessel was coming in to pick up the "Nicosian's" crew and passengers.

As in similar First War crimes at sea where the perpetrators were never brought to book--by either side-- the atrcity was compounded by an Admiralty white-wash which resulted in the commander of the "Baralong," Lieutenant Commander Godfrey Herbert, being awarded the DSC.

It was, of course, PRECISELY this sort of incident that led to the UNrestricted submarine warfare offensive... an obvious military necessity but a public relations catastrophe for Imperial Germany.