News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Charity (Nishani Shefkat - Şefkat Nişanı)

demir

Order of Charity (Nishani Shefkat - Şefkat Nişanı)

Instituted in 1878 by Sultan Abdulhamid II in three classes, this order was reserved for women. It was given in recognition of charitable work, or as a token of the Sultan's esteem.

First Class breast star, in gold and enamels, each of five points and olives in olive branches set with diamonds, 57mm, with pin back suspension. Bestowed upon Leila Jessie von Heidenstam (1849-1921), wife of Oskar Gustav von Heidenstam, Swedish Envoy to Constantinople (circa 1876-1883). (From the collection of Ayhan Özcan)

Hi,

I checked the link you provided but there is nothing under Turkey and most of the countries.

I have to ask the owner of the order for his permission.

Thanks

Edited by demir

That's beautiful... any chance you'd permit me to use that on my website?

I got the permission from the owner. Please indicate that it is from the collection of Mr. Ayhan Ozcan- Turkey.

Best wishes

Hello Demir.

It may be of your interest to see a high quality miniature of this order? And by high quality I mean high quality, 10+ grammes of solid 18K Gold, 22 * 40 mm, set with 25 + 1 small diamonds and the enamel of simply the highest quality. I'm afraid this is a rather bad scan that doesn't do the miniature justice in any way, but this is the best I have around and I cannot make a better one right now.

PS - you wouldn't happen to have an old correct bow?

Regards, Lars

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately it is not mine, owned by Mr. Ayhan Özcan from my (facebook) Ottoman Medals group. ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/osmanlimadalyalari/ )

Hello Lars,

Thanks for the lovely miniature. It is beautiful.

Sorry no bow at all.

May I post your miniature into my Ottoman Medals Group under the Sefkat Order?

All the best and a Happy New Year

Demir

Edited by demir

• 3 months later...

Hello , 

This order in the first pictures , i mean the one which was mentioned as " FIRST CLASS " is NOT a first class Sevkat Order's Breast Star , it is a 2nd Class Shevkat Order , for some reason , converted to seem like a Grand Cross Shevkat Breast Star . 

1 - 1st Class ( Grand Cross ) Shevkat's Breast Star NEVER CAN BE in the size of 57 mm .

2 - In the Grand Cross Breast Star of Shevkat , The diamond inlaid rays between the star is made of SILVER . ( Except of the Special Type which is made only with Gold and diamonds , without the leaf and rubies ...) 

3 - If you look carefully , you can see that the pin and it's holder on the back soldered latterly ..

4 - On this order , The pin's holder on the left back , i mean where the pin closing is a FICTION , it is something you can see in the new made brooches ... Ottoman Empire NEVER used such a kind of closing system on it's orders ...

Best Wishes , 

Avsar IBAR

• 1 year later...

Hello Gordon , 

It is a second class Sevkat order . 3rd class ones do not have any stones on them , you can see the Original box on the pictures but NOT correct ribbon . That incorrect ribbon is coming from a Big Imtiyaz Medal , nothing related with a Sevkat ...

Best wishes , 

Avsar Ibar

Edited by avsaribar

You are welcome Gordon !

Here is the picture of a 3rd class one ...

( No stones .. No diamonds ... No rubies ... Just green and red enamels ... )

image.png

Below is a 2nd Class Order ...

image.jpeg

Below a first class Star .

image.jpeg

Edited by avsaribar

Below is a 1st Class Special Type Breast Star . ( Only diamonds ... )

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Below is a Classic 1st Class Breast Star .

image.png

image.png

Below , another 2nd Class ..

image.png

And a 1st Class Set ...

image.png

A close up picture of 2nd class --- Diamonds and Rubies

image.png

Below another 2nd Class ...

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Another 2nd class with Original Box and Ribbon  ...

sevkat1 copy.jpg

sevkat3 copy.jpg

sevkat3 copy 2.jpg

sevkat5.jpg

And below a 3rd Class ...

Sevkat2.jpg

Sevkat3c.jpg

To COMPARE the size of 2nd Class Order (on the left) and a 1st Class Breast Star ( on the right ) , please check the below picture ...

sevkat-nisani2.jpg

Below a first class star ...

Sev6.jpg

Sev4.jpg

and another 1st Class Set ... This time the 1st Class Breast Star is with Paste Stones .... 

semseler4.jpg

semseler6.jpg

Below , probably a European Made 2nd Class order ... Original Ribbon but in a later - Not Original Case/box. 

Please be note that there is NO "Wreath and Star" or "only wreath" on the reverse of the order... Also you can see that the gold center ( where the Toughra Located ) is cambered ... Not flat as in the Ottoman made ones .... 

sev1 copy.jpg

sev2 copy.jpg

sev3 copy.jpg

Edited by avsaribar

• 1 year later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Jelena Grujić (Јелена Грујић), wife of Serbian politician and diplomat Jevrem Grujić (Јеврем Грујић), wearing first class order.
    Portrait by Stevan Todorović (Стеван Тодоровић) from 1888.
    01.thumb.jpg.e44e2f4aa8f8abe7b76766e0ed9d1cce.jpg
    02.jpg.e9b9e4b4ca075eb56da852fb2f85be8e.jpg
    03.jpg.306356f82c437fb1997c6e7b563399e3.jpg