News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal mounting question

Hi All

I am a new member to this forum and I have been sparked into joining because I have inherited my late mother's brother's medal group from WW2, which I fully intend to keep in the family for the next generation. However, your thoughts and counsel would be warmly welcome.

The medals have at some stage - which we believe to be 1990 - been court mounted by Spink and Son of London. The black velvet backing behind the medals has Spink's details, Royal warrants and crest emblazoned on it. Previous to this, they had never been mounted and we believe that he had them mounted specially in the Summer of 1990 to wear for a reunion dinner to mark the onset of the battle of Britain. (Pretty much the one and only event which he ever attended to commemorate WW2 events).
    The medals consist of a Distinguished Flying Medal, the 1939-45 star with clasp, air crew Europe star, defence and the war medal. I have taken these medals to a reputable London expert on British medals to have them valued (academic) and for insurance purposes.
    Please can anyone explain to me how it can be, that the "Battle of Britain" clasp on the 1939-45 star has been assessed by my expert to be "a tailor's copy clasp" when all the pieces to be mounted that were originally sent to Spink and Son in 1990, would, undoubtedly, have been original 1940s issue? (The medal dealer did show and explain to me in quite some detail as to how he came by this assessment, so I have absolutely no reason to question his judgement).

Could it be that it is standard practice to renew all ribbons and clasps etc when a tailor mounts or even remounts military medals in order to give them a clean and fresh appearance?

I have written to Spink and Son (twice now) in order to seek clarification, but have as yet received no reply to either enquiry.

I am sure that the motive of such a reputable company such as Spink and Son would only be one that aims to achieve the highest standards of service to the customer, but according to my expert, the replacement of the original Battle of Britain bar for a more attractive, shiny, modern tailor's copy has not had an insignificant effect on the valuation of the medals.

Medals316 - Thankyou for your post and welcome to GMIC. Your Uncle's medal group is an important one as only some 6000

DFM's were issued for the WW2 period. Strangely the value shown for the Battle of Britain clasp is not that far short as for the DFM.

You will understand that at a distance of 24 years - and not being present yourself, that it is going to be quite difficult to find out the

circumstances of the mounting back in 1990. There is no reason for a tailor's copy of the clasp to have been used and your

question regarding renewals does not apply as you say they were mounted for the first time for a special event. I cannot imagine

Spinks not mounting these properly - however, what does occur to me is that in the original issue all parts come separately. This

would include the clasp. Perhaps the original had been lost over the years and with a high value to be paid, your Uncle may have

been advised to have a less expensive tailor's copy. This is speculation and unless Spink's have maintained their records from that

period you may not ever know for sure.

The dealer you consulted has advised that a copy clasp will not detract from the value - so, you are really left with two choices.

One keep the group as it was worn - or, if it really worries you - purchase an original issue through a reputable firm.

Personally, I think you have a lovely group and I would keep it as worn. Please post a photo of the Group, including the reverse

and we can then enjoy it with you. Get a local expert to help you draw his Service record , also his Gazette entry. Try to find

a good photo of him in uniform and keep all of this with his personal details - incl. birth and death dates.

Best wishes for 2015 Mervyn

I would tend to agree with Mervyn's guess that the original clasp was mislaid between the issue date and when the group was mounted. A small piece of metal, perhaps in an otherwise empty envelope or, worse, floating loose in a box or drawer would be very easy to lose over a number of years. if that's what happened then either your uncle or Spink's may have provided the tailor's copy to get the group finished for the dinner. A not uncommon occurrence with bars, rosettes and various other small 'devices' meant to go on medal ribbons or uniforms.

Yes, we would love to see photos of the medals and of your uncle if you are inclined to share!

Peter

Good evening gents, thank you for your replies. Thank you Mervyn for your kind words of welcome.

What you have both suggested does make a lot of sense. 50 years or so in the back of a chest of drawers is ample time for bits and pieces to get lost as you rightly point out.

I am sure Spink would have supplied the replacement clasp if the original had been lost. To me, it is fine and of a perfectly approriate quality and I would never have known any different if it hadn't been pointed out to me. As Mervyn suggests, it is how he would have worn them and that is important.

I would love to get a photo up at some point if I can work out how to do it. I also want to actually find the one particular photo of him that I have in my mind, which shows him in my grandparents' garden carrying my mum in his arms and wearing his tunic/uniform with wing on left breast. My mother has boxes of photos, thousands, which I intend to sift through this year. Hopefully the one I am thinking of and perhaps some others will turn up.

Medals316 - pleased that you are happy with our explanations. We would certainly like to see the selection of

photos you mention - I have been assuming that he was a Flight Sergeant - and therefore , was probably a pilot

in the Battle of Britain ? Are you able to confirm his rank and what he was doing - the alternative, was perhaps that

he was a Navigator ? At the top of the Forum our Chairman has included a short tutorial on adding photos - should

you have any problems please call on us for help. Mervyn