News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Manchester Regiment Flash

Strapper

This is my Great Grandfather Sgt. Harold Hetherington Williams. 2nd Manchester Regimant. Can anyone give me info. On the three stripes above the Sergeant stripes and what they were doing when he was killed on 5th December 1917. I would greatly appreciate it
    Kindly
    strapper

The diamond and the horizontal stripes are so called "Battle Patches".

The red diamond indicates the Brigade within the 32nd Division, the number of bars indicate the unit (2nd Manchesters) and the colour of the bars indicate the Company:

A Coy = red

B Coy = green

C Coy = yellow

D Coy = blue

HQ = black

It is strange that he does not wear the battle patch of the 32nd Division (5 rings placed as the 5 on a dice), but instead a patch with the title MANCHESTER, but the patch with the 5 rings may have been issued later.

Strapper,

I can't see your great grandfather.

As for what they were doing in Dec. 1917 here's a link to the war diaries http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?discoveryCustomSearch=true&_q=2+manchester+regiment&_cr1=WO+95&_col=200&_hb=tna&image1.x=44&image1.y=16

It looks like the one you need is the 2nd from the top.

Tony

Edit: Just seen Odulf has answered your question about the stripes in another thread :)

Edited by Tony