News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Es gibt nichts das es nicht gegeben hat .....

On 16.4.2017 at 16:44, webr55 said:

The Major at the center can probably not be identified, but he is wearing a number of 1920s unofficial awards like the Kyffhäuser Medal - and he also has the Hungarian War Remembrance Medal. This actually means that the photo must have been taken between 1929, when this Medal was first handed out, and 1934, when the Hindenburg Cross replaced all the unofficial awards. 

center.png

Hi,

I also see a Schlesischer Adler 2nd class  (2. Stufe) (4th from right), and 1st class (1. Stufe) beneath EKI which means he was active in a Freikorps for a while. Besides that Generalleutnant Eduard Lang, Generalmajor Otto Staubwasser and the yet to be identified Major all seem to share the same badge/emblem/medal, which is the highly reflecting rectangular one. Whereas the Generals wear it beneath their medalbars, the Major wears it next to his pinned on crosses above the belt.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC
    addition

Yes, that is correct, the Major was very active in some Freikorps. The Silesian Eagle 1st cl he is wearing is the more uncommon type, with the swords above the badge. 

The cross to the left of the Silesian Eagle is the Annaberg Cross, which was created in 1931. So that narrows down the time frame for the picture further: between 1931 and 1934. The badge at the bottom left is a bit more tricky, I guess it is one of the Berlin Freikorps awards (Berliner Selbstschutz or similar).

The rectangular badge which most of them are wearing is the Prince Alfons Commemorative Badge. 

Freikorps.png

Edited by webr55

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 21:47, webr55 said:

Just came across this thread. The Generalleutnant with the messed-up collar tabs is, I believe,

Generalleutnant Eduard Lang (1860-1935)

He is wearing the officer's cross (pin-back) to the Bavarian Military Merit Order, which was only introduced for a few years, not many got it. 

Chris, Sandro,

I don't believe this is the case. He does not look like General Lang and in any case Eduard Lang did not have a peace time award of a A-H Franz Josef Order Knight. In my opinion, it is Generalleutnant Ludwig Moser. General Moser had already retired before WW1 as a Generalmajor z.D. but saw service during the war, where he was awarded his second Bavarian Military Merit Order Commander's cross, this time with swords and the two classes of the Prussian Iron Cross, Clearly seen in this photo is the breast star of the Italian Order of the Crown which with hostilities long past, Herr General thought it ok to wear once again!

Regards

Glenn

Moser Ludwig.jpg

Lang, Eduard.jpg

3 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Chris, Sandro,

I don't believe this is the case. He does not look like General Lang and in any case Eduard Lang did not have a peace time award of a A-H Franz Josef Order Knight. In my opinion, it is Generalleutnant Ludwig Moser. General Moser had already retired before WW1 as a Generalmajor z.D. but saw service during the war, where he was awarded his second Bavarian Military Merit Order Commander's cross, this time with swords and the two classes of the Prussian Iron Cross, Clearly seen in this photo is the breast star of the Italian Order of the Crown which with hostilities long past, Herr General thought it ok to wear once again!

Regards

Glenn

Moser Ludwig.jpg

Lang, Eduard.jpg

Many thanks Glenn, based on the pics you posted you may well be right. What is the story of Mr. Lang, who I see from the web, eventually made it to Generalleutnant, too? And what is the story of Mr. Moser, do you know?

Best, Sandro

Edited by GdC26

1 hour ago, webr55 said:

Hm. I see your point, Glenn. However, how do you account for the officer's cross of the BMVO? Did Moser have one before his 2nd cl and still wore it?

Hi Chris,

yes, he did have a BMVO. In fact in the photograph he is wearing both the BMV2 and BMV2X plus the BMVO.

Regards

Glenn

Moser.jpg

• 5 months later...
    • 3 years later...