News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Phaleristic Collection

LaCollPhaleristique

Graf,

There might be some similar boxes from Halley made for normal LoH.

This box is specific to this 100 gardes model as when you remove the LoH, you see that the lower part of the box is made such as the LoH perfectly fits within the box.

I will take a picture of the box without the LoH.

Best

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Is anyone knows what are the main features of the Badges/Crosses of the Order of Legion of Honour from the 1st Restoration Period, apart from the distinctive reverse medallion with the Royal crown above the three lily.

Any other features??

Best

Graf

LOH1stRest.jpg

64bbc6_2d53259813a94facb320777bc8a1fc20.jpg

Hi guys,

I asked for some more information regarding the 1st Restoration Model of the Legion of Honour ( April 1814- March 1815 ) Any good references?

Is the crown on the back central medallion only different features from the 2nd Restoration period or there are more differences

Regards

Graf

003.JPG

Hi

Thank you for the reply

I also have seen couple of 1st Empire LOH with 1st Restoration reverse medallions -so called "Hybrids" when left overs from the previous period were used with replaced medallions corresponding to the particular period

I have not seen 1st restoration Order with the typical shape of the restoration period

It is  a pity that the Gold Commander listed above is pictured only on the front, because it was sold on auction in France few years ago with the description for the 1st Type of Restoration period...however no picture on the reverse

Otherwise it could have brought  more light to the issue.

I noticed that on this particular Commander the Henry IV is facing to the left, therefore i assumed that this could be additional specific feature for this period ..however not sure now.

Yes, It is a rare beast

I cannot find any good reference for this topic

Graf

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a little beauty in a very nice box from Second Empire

Interesting fact - The Box is from Kretly, however the button on the back is marked V.L. - Victor Lemoine ?

001.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

Edited by Graf

• 1 month later...

Dear Members,

I just want  to so share my recent experience with a "rare " 1st Restoration LOH Knight Class

As you follow the thread you can noticed that I did seek more information regarding  this Model.

I came across of one of those "Rare birds"   Did I?

I managed to buy it.  Very excited! When The "bird" arrived I did feel very uneasy Something was wrong.

-First the Cross was from the 2nd Restoration Period and very badly damaged.

-Second the Central medallions looked very new nearly mint including the reverse one with the crown and the three lilies

-Third the medallions were very loose and I managed to detached them with a gentle pool

My findings were not very good. I did not feel comfortable keeping it and i return the LOH

Was i wrong by returning this  "rare bird"? Did i let a rare "rare bird" to sleep from my hands?

Judge by yourself I need your opinion

Now it is for sale again for a much higher price!!!!!

No comments !

Graf

001.JPG

005.JPG

014.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

017.JPG

I'm no expert...  But if those 2 medallions are indeed original and over 200 years old...  I'm Napoleon IV...  You can see blue enamel over the lettering...  Hmmm...  Like I said, I'm no expert, but had I held this in my hand in a shop, I would've left with my money still in my account.

Hi TacHel,

That how i felt as well.

To add to the topic the Two parts of the central medallions were glued with a modern epoxy..and also the new loops for attaching to the Cross were glued the same way

Graf

Hi TacHel,

Hi Paul Wood, i would like your opinion as well

That how i felt as well.

Here are two Crosses from this period You can compare the central medallions The 1R Cross is in the worse condition with the "best' preserved medallions

To add to the topic the Two parts of the central medallions were glued with a modern epoxy..and also the new loops for attaching to the Cross were glued the same way

Graf

011.JPG

012.JPG

Graf,

The first piece is an adapted Napoleonic piece, is normal for the First restoration and sometimes occurs for the Second restoration. The others have the standard Bourbon crown with lis. The body of the Second does not belong to a First restoration example, It should if you see my illustration previously have the body like the first piece so I think you were wise in returning it.

Paul

Hi Paul Wood

Thank you for the opinion.

What shocked me most was the fact that those medallions were not 200 years old as you see on the pictures above.

The way the central medallions were made , at least at the early stages even through Second empire is different from those 1st Restoration ones attached to the 2nd Restoration Cross

The first thing that brought my attention, when the Order arrived is the fact that a supposedly later Model cross is so much damaged comparing to supposedly earlier  central medallions -nearly mint.

Second fact the central medallion with the Henry IV is very murky and not as clear as the quality from this period demands.

Third fact the loose central medallions and the way they are attached and glued -the glue is not an old one, the loop is modern tin.Also the two parts are glued with a modern epoxy glue.

Fourth as you said the the correct "Hybrid' combination should be 1st Empire Cross with 1st Restoration medallions

not the one presented  -it does not make sense.

Here are some pictures of correct construction of medallions from 1st and 2nd Empire with the correct brown and yellow wax

Graf

003.JPG

2empobvmed.JPG

2ndempobv1.JPG

2ndemprevmed.JPG

2ndemprevmed1.JPG

• 2 months later...

Dear Graf,

Thank you for your interesting posts on your 1st Restauration LH.... which indeed is made of a modern central medallion fixed on a genuine Restauration cross.

I have two other "1st Restauration" LH that I will try to show you soon when I will have more time.

By the way, the "1st Restauration" model doesn't exist and is only the result of the mistake from a LH maker…

Have a nice weekend!!

La Collection Phaleristique

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Le Collection Phaleristique

Thank you for the opinion. It is very valuable

The Fake 1st Restoration is long  back sent  to the dealer

The shocking thing is that I advised him about the findings and despite that he listed the LOH again...and nearly triple the original price It is still on sale. i will not disclose his name..bu Buyer Beware

i am helping the members by showing the facts and the opinions of other memebers

BTW you are the second person who mentioned that the 1st Restoration Orders are due to mistake by LOH maker.

Very Interesting fact

BTW My Collection of the 2nd Empire Luxury miniatures is steadily growing

Graf

070b.JPG

Edited by Graf

• 6 months later...