News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Folded / creased 14-18 honourable discharge scroll

Hello,

I'm not sure if this should be in the Preservation and Restoration forum or here, please move if necessary.

Has anyone had success decreasing Great War honourable discharge scrolls?

I’ve just bought one which had been folded 5 times, four vertical folds and a light fold across the middle, but am little wary of using the damp cloth and ironing method. The print will probably be ok, it’s the handwritten details I’m unsure of even if ironing from the back, so if anyone knows of a safe way please let me know.

Thanks
    Tony

The damp cloth and ironing method I describe is really to raise the humidity of the piece so that the delicate fibers in the paper can be unfolded. 

When returned to the flat position, then a dry cloth and iron are used gently to remove the humidity so that the water in the fibers won't mold or breakdown the fibers.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/56823-light-document-restoration-work/

Otherwise, I would recommend a professional that show previous examples.  And ask them how they are going to do it.  You might find that it is essentially the same process, just they have humidity controlled chambers, irons that were never used on clothing and a lot more patience.   

Claudius,

I've given it a go, the result wasn't as good as your example in the link but nonetheless, it's my first attempt so I didn't want to over do it but I'm very happy with the way it looks. The creases are far less prominent and perhaps another going over in a day or so will further improve its condition.

Below are before and after photos, on the back you may be able to see by the discolouration along the folds that the scroll was removed from its frame and folded up a very long time ago.

Tony

Hello Tony;

I think it's looking great.  You're almost there!  I few more strokes with the warm iron to both sides and it will be flat as cold-rolled steel.

Now that I see the document you're working on, I believe this technique is very appropriate and you obviously have made a good start.  The most delicate part is over. 

Just make sure the crease parts get the moisture, before you iron them flat. 

Then remove the moisture when it's back into position. 

If I may ask, you weren't using that red towel for the flattening process?  You want to use something closer to linen.  Like the material in a 100% cotton dress shirt.  No lint.  Several pieces. Some moist, some dry.  And keep the iron moving.  Don't let it rest in one spot too long.

OK, I'll stop preaching now.