News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-6209-0-42155200-1422530517.jpgclick

QUICK TEASER :    Both of these had a Police associated function.   No prizes  -  but, can you

tell me their names   -  who carried them   -  and what fashion were they carried.  Extra points

for an approx. age  ?    Mervyn

Flails are a rare weapon in the catalogue of items used by law enforcement over the past hundreds of years.  They were

usually carried by Governors of prisons  -  who might want to conceal a weapon  -  but, have it readily available in need.

Being wood and metal the leverage action would be strong and it must have been a very dangerous deterrent.

The Bludgeon was carried by both civilians and early Constables  -  even later and dating to the regular police in the 1850's.

I had several where they had been painted and the words Police printed on.  Again you have a lever action which increases

the swing and the blow.    Bludgeons were also used by criminals and gave rise to the expression - " to bludgeon"  - or, cause

severe injuries.     The word is still in use today.

Both of these weapons were intended to be carried in the pocket in the rear of the short tailed frock coat worn in the 1800's

period.          Mervyn