News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI Militaria Market

So, now that we are into the first full year of the Centennial, what are your thoughts on the availability and prices of WWI militaria?

From my view, I don't think I see any more quantity for sale...  Prices for British medal trios seem to be up a bit, but in general, I haven't seen a big jump in prices overall.

Just been to a militaria show/sale today 1st Feb (pinch punch no return). 

Original WW1 stuff seems to be on the up. I can't get anything relic at the prices they were just a few months ago. Maybe it's the time of year or blokes fed up with a lack of anything for sale in town centres these days. I don't remember a hike this time last year though.

All sorts of relics were in the £30 - £50 range last year. Now they are in the £70 - £100 range and for proper poo ones too.

WW1 medal trios, especially KIA with plaque look to be up quite a bit in the several hundreds of pounds. Four bar Crimean are into the nine hundreds while Waterloo and Peninsilar GSMs are back down just over 2Gs.

Lots more WW1 British helmets about getting up towards, and passed the five hundred mark. WW2 Brits are starting at £50 with private purchased (leather straps etc) way up over the £150 mark. 

I've noticed a major increase in Brit Great War equipment over the last year on dealer sites as well as Corps medals creeping up a little but haven't been to a UK show since I was last there over a year ago so can't comment on what dealers may settle for when haggling. Try buying a Princess Mary tin or any of the contents, their prices have gone crazy over the last year or so and I turned my nose up an unopened pack of tobacco for A$55 18 months ago.

Anything Aussie seems to have stayed just as expensive as usual, French helmets are going up as has the US M17 helmet but that's maybe just because I was thinking of buying one. The last few MKI Brodies I saw sell on ebay were slightly cheaper than usual but that doesn't have to be a trend.

No doubt anything rare, good and unusual will still fetch a premium no matter what the country of origin.

Dealers can and do ask INFLATED prices. The real indicator of value are the prices collectors are willing to pay. Perhaps the real question is, what are you willing to pay for items this year, as opposed to a year or two ago?

Edited by Les

Dealers can and do ask INFLATED prices. The real indicator of value are the prices collectors are willing to pay. Perhaps the real question is, what are you willing to pay for items this year, as opposed to a year or two ago?

I feel like I'm reading the internet version of a ransom note using words cut out of a newspaper. :rolleyes:

Les, that is indeed a valid question.  But I didn't ask to comment on the collector's estimation of "value" versus current prices asked for WWI militaria.  We've flogged that horse already: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/64885-combatting-high-prices/ :whistle:

Allow me to re-direct.  How much, if at all, have we seen prices of WWI militaria inflated in direct relation to this being the Centenary?