News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Inter-War MG08 & MG08/15

Understandably a bit of a neglected area. German mastery of both WWI & WWII MG use is well known, but the adaptions to the WWI MGs are interesting. Even today weapon platforms are 'added to' to extend their use or as an interim measure.

thumb5_7965_zps44aa5d1f.jpg

Edited by MG1918

• Replies 90
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Changes were made to the sled mount, the MG08 and some of the accessories.

Even the water can for steam/refill was altered - good view of the screw on cap first photo.

inter22_zps02c720be.jpg

Edited by MG1918

Changes to the MG08 - modified rear trigger assembly, feedblock alteration, anti aircraft stem fitted and sometimes additional flip sight to the top cover, water drain valve plug and sometimes a white stripe down the side of the body. Images from a manual.

inter7_zps476088b0.jpg

Edited by MG1918

I think we would all agree the anti-aircraft configuration looks amazing - but I have seen no records yet of its stability or effectiveness.  The gunner would have to rotate around the sled avoiding legs etc whereas in WWI the MG08 attached to a single post seems more useful.

inter11_zps0c1c27c6.jpg

Larry thanks - great photos. Like the one with the top cover up.  Do you ever see any WWI or inter-war MG 'stuff' in Australia?

Mark

Unfortunately I have not seen any inter-war MG's in Australia.

Here is another photo showing a couple of MG's on a dune at Dunkirk.

Cheers,

Larry

Nice photo Larry I found a ref. for the white line it maybe for an AA sighting aid similar on Swiss guns which ran along the top, answered my own question lol!

Cheers, wish I'd collected photos Larry.

Eric

1930's feed blocks the lower one pictured (08) used to be in my collection (Goldsmith 'The Devils Paintbrush'), note the cloth/steel toggle switch. Generally the block slide pawl belt 'lift finger' was dropped in the TR period.

The maxim 08 was of course not designed to run steel belts which would result in unreliability and breakages later.

Eric

• 1 month later...