News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police TV - Interceptors......

Over the past few months our S.A. TV has started to show two weekly programmes on the activities of

the British  Police.   One is called "Police Interceptors"  and the other  "Traffic Cops " .   I am not sure

how old they are  -  probably about two years.  However, you may still be getting them in the UK and in

other Countries ?

"Interceptors" deals with high speed BMW's attached to most British County Police.  The ones I am watching

are showing Lincolnshire Police and how they use these vehicles for high profile and in dealing with

crime.    The other series  "Traffic Cops"  has similar vehicles and again, moves to different Counties  -

they are currently in Bedford.  There has been no mention of the Metropolitan Police  -  they may not

be involved ?

Personally, I think the 'realty' style of the programmes is causing the Police to act for the cameras.

However,  I think this is something we can all talk about  -  even our collegues from overseas who

haven't seen the programmes.   Mainly though, I would like UK current and retired - to tell us what you

think of the programmes  --  of the vehicles -- of the attitudes generated  --  and if you think it is an

addiitional deterrent to crime ?    Also, do you think it a good idea for any Police Force to expose it's

men and methods so publicly.

I hope all our members will feel free to comment  -  and also, tell us about any specific programmes

in your Country .      Mervyn

Dearly beloved is very fond of this sort of show so I get to see quite a lot of them! The one I like best is called Emergency Bikers and deals with police and paramedic motorcyclists.

On the whole, they present police in a positive light and makes them a bit more human - they are not faceless 'plods' but real people just like the rest of us.

I find the ones about police, paramedics, border controls, airports, etc., fascinating - give some insight into various jobs that are pretty much a closed book to those not engaged in them yet with which we all interact occasionally. Real people doing what can be at times quite difficult jobs - anything that helps the rest of understand is all to the good. It makes the people involved less faceless.

Last night's episodes showed the Traffic Police in Luton.   This seems to be a place with a lot of violence and a complete lack

of respect for the Police.   They showed a young PC trying to arrest one young men - with three ohers attacking him.  Not one 

member of the public attempted to assist.   This in itself is an offence.  Erosion of authority seems to be all over

the World  -  probably TV and "social  media".

One car chase involved an 18 year old who had stolen a car.  The PC who was chasing was Muslim and in the middle of Ramadan - so, he  was on a strict fast.  He admitted that this caused him to lack energy and he lost

the suspect.    Surely he should have been on night duty during the period of Ramadan ?      Mervyn

• 1 month later...

Get these quite often here in London! 

I was walking along the street in Brighton and saw a squad car go past, and it had a camera (and a cameraman)  in the back filming. 

We only know what that could of been for....

Zeb

L

One car chase involved an 18 year old who had stolen a car.  The PC who was chasing was Muslim and in the middle of Ramadan - so, he  was on a strict fast.  He admitted that this caused him to lack energy and he lost

the suspect.    Surely he should have been on night duty during the period of Ramadan ?      Mervyn

​Probably balanced up by the rest of the crowd who lose their suspect due to acute hangovers ;-)