News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW II - What's this helmet?

This photo was posted today on the World War II website with the following caption:  

Vickers machine gunners of the 1st Battalion Middlesex Regiment, 15th (Scottish) Division, lay down harassing fire in support of forward elements during the battle for Goch, 20 February 1945. - See more at: http://ww2today.com/17-february-1945-the-only-way-out-for-an-infantryman?

I'm unfamiliar with the helmet on the machine gunner.  I suspect at least 100 of you will know it instantly.  

Hugh

vickers-harassing-fire-595x617.jpg

Thanks, for this, Dan.  I knew I'd get a quick answer on this one.  It appears that it was in service for many years, hence, I assume large numbers must have been issued.  Strange that I've never noticed it in pictures before now.  

Thanks, for this, Dan.  I knew I'd get a quick answer on this one.  It appears that it was in service for many years, hence, I assume large numbers must have been issued.  Strange that I've never noticed it in pictures before now.  

Hello Hugh.

I agree with you as regards photos. Having lived in the North German area which was occupied by British troops in April, 1945 I cannot recall this shape of helmet actually worn by any of them. Formations in our area going by memory were 52.Highland Division and "Desert Foxes" / 7.Armored Division?

Bernhard H. Holst

The Mark III was more common among troops that had been training in Britain in the years running up to the Normandy landings and I have the impression, from photos, it saw particularly widespread use among Canadian units. The 51st Highland  and 7th Armoured Divisions, joining  the invasion force later on, having previously been in  the Mediterranean theatre, may not have been issued with it so widely. By 1945, as the photo indicates, there seems to have been a fair amount of mix and match within units across the board.