News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Campaign Medals help please

In helping clear out my friend's collection I came across the below 6 medals. Some I know what they are and others I don't. They are all named and numbers. Would someone fill in the blanks? Also since I will be selling these for his mom, any suggestion on value. Thank you.

South Africa Service Medal with 1901 Bar - #1679 Pte H. Plows. York. L.I.

Afghanistan Service Medal with 1919 Bar - #2773 Soward Runmust Kahn. 28/Cavy.  

Afghanistan Service Medal with 1919 Bar – #87 W.E.E. McKinley. Rlwys (a very low number)

Group of 2

??? - #3258 Sepoy Nilkha Singa 1-69 Pjbis

Afghanistan Service Medal with 1919 Bar - #3258 1-69 Pjbis

??? with Malaya Bar - Afghanistan Service Medal with 1919 - #774 Loh Kum Wah S. Pore Pc L

Good Morning.......

Here is some information for you......  Sorry I do not do values as they can be very subjective........

1)  South Africa Service Medal with 1901 Bar - #1679 Pte H. Plows. York. L.I.

is actually:   The Kings South Africa Medal with South Africa 1901 bar, Missing the 1902 Bar and never issued without the Queen's South Africa Medal 

2)  Afghanistan Service Medal with 1919 Bar - #2773 Soward Runmust Kahn. 28/Cavy.

3)  Afghanistan Service Medal with 1919 Bar – #87 W.E.E. McKinley. Rlwys (a very low number)

is actually:  India General Service Medal  1908 - 1935 see below

4) Group of 2

is actually:  India General Service Medal  1908 - 1935 see below and a British First World War - War Medal named to same man.

5)  ??? with Malaya Bar - Afghanistan Service Medal with 1919 - #774 Loh Kum Wah S. Pore Pc L

is actually:  General Service Medal 1918-1962 with bar for service in Malaya  (Malaya - For service in Malaya and Singapore against communist guerrilla forces. The qualifying dates for service were between 16 June 1948 and 31 July 1960. For the Colony of Singapore, the date period was between 16 June 1948 to 31 January 1959.)

Hope this is of some help......

Mike

INDIA GENERAL SERVICE MEDAL 1908-35

Description:

There are three issues of this medal, the first bearing the head of King Edward VII and the legend 'EDWARDVS VII KAISAR-I-HIND on the obverse.

The second issue has the crowned bust of King George V and the legend 'GEORGEIVS V KAISAR-I-HIND.

The obverse of the third issue bears the crowned head of King George V with the legend 'GEORGIVS. V. D. G. BRITT. OMN. REX. ET. INDAE. IMP.'.

The reverse of all three issues depicts the fortress at Jamrud commanding the entrance into Afghanistan at the Khyber Pass with the word 'INDIA' in the lower centre. The suspender is a swivelling ornate scroll type with a claw mount (several types) sweated to the medal.

Clasps:

'NORTH WEST FRONTIER', 'ABOR', AFGHANISTAN N.W.F. 1919', MAHSUD 1919-1920', 'WAZIRISTAN 1919-1921', 'MALABAR 1921-1922', 'WAZIRISTAN 1925', 'NORTH WEST FRONTIER 1930-31', 'BURMA 1930-32', 'MOHMAND 1933' and ' NORTH WEST FRONTIER 1935'.

Ribbon:

The ribbon is dark green with a central dark blue stripe and 1.25" in width.

Naming:

Naming varied enormously for this medal but is usually engraved in running script for the first two clasps and then impressed in thin small capitals on later clasps.

Notes:

This medal was struck at both the Royal Mint and the Calcutta Mint in India. Those struck in India had a different claw mount and is of slightly lower quality.

The first clasp was awarded with the Edward VII issue, the next seven with the second issue with the bust King George V and the last four with the third issue also with the bust of George V.

Clasps are often encountered with poor quality rivets due to them being attached to the medal while the soldier was on active service in India.

In helping clear out my friend's collection I came across the below 6 medals. Some I know what they are and others I don't. They are all named and numbers. Would someone fill in the blanks? Also since I will be selling these for his mom, any suggestion on value. Thank you.

South Africa Service Medal with 1901 Bar - #1679 Pte H. Plows. York. L.I.

Afghanistan Service Medal with 1919 Bar - #2773 Soward Runmust Kahn. 28/Cavy.  

Afghanistan Service Medal with 1919 Bar – #87 W.E.E. McKinley. Rlwys (a very low number)

Group of 2

??? with Malaya Bar - Afghanistan Service Medal with 1919 - #774 Loh Kum Wah S. Pore Pc L

Kings South Africa medal to 1679 Pte. H.Plows - 2nd Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. He was entitled as well 3 clasp Queen South Africa Medal. Medal Yearbook values these £80-100 but because missing clasp, I recon ca. £55-65 range (still very common medal and if your man wasn't casualty or bravery award winner, then one of the many KSAs, that are available in the market).

Eeee, I was looking your scans again and looks like second KSA clasp is hidden behind the ribbon. You just need to fix the ribbon before you sell them  :o

Great Eyes Noor......

I missed that as well.......

Originally thought that the face of the bar had broken off as it sometimes does......

Mike

The GSM Malaya appears to be named to a member of the Singapore Police. The name seems Chinese.

The Afghanistan NWF 1919 to Rlwys is probably this man: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FG4W-3WL

William Edward Eric Mckinley, born 5 Nov. 1890, Saharanpur, Bengal, India

Michael

Edited by Michael Johnson

There was a short lived group called 'Z Force' which operated in Malaya during the Emergency.  Small groups, often Gurkhas, an Iban tracker and a Chinese translator, went into the jungle to find and attack terrorist camps.  One purpose was to do damage., another was to demoralize and the Chinese translators often tried, with varying success to persuade the terrorists to surrender and even to change sides.  It's just possible that the GSM Malaya was to a member of that group, though there were likely lots of Chinese speaking police involved in the campaign throughout.