News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Chris.

Stunning series all belonging to members of this regiment incl. V.Fw. Wilhelm Flottmann, who received the Golden Military Merit Cross. Excellent find and causing envy at this end.

It seems to me as if someone established a small collection of documents etc belonging to former members of this regiment. And you were the lucky one...

Thanks for showing .

Bernhard H. Holst

Hi,

I had the 2 EK2 docs shown last.... then was lucky enough to get the Flottmann group.... then by chance found I had the Neumeyer group in a drawer, had forgotten that I had it .... so by default it now becomes one of the regiments i am going to actively keep an eye open for ;-)

.... then by chance found I had the Neumeyer group in a drawer, had forgotten that I had it .... so by default it now becomes one of the regiments i am going to actively keep an eye open for ;-)

Great documents, Chris and the new, accidental concentration is priceless.

Nice!

How do we tell the difference between the different Foot Guard regiments?

Any chance that Neumeyer or Flottmann are on the group Photo`?

Best

Chris

​Hi Chris!

Unfortunately none of them is on the photo with the names. The Reservistenbild is from 1903

It was. Dedicated in June 1924, it was situated south east of the site of the former garrison church on Breitestraße. The monument survived the war but was dismantled/destroyed in 1946 on orders of the communist memorial commisson.

Regards

Glenn

Hello.

Thanks for all the additional information and pictures.

I would like to add this:

- this regiment was formed in 1688 thus took precedence over all other regiments;

- the regiment had the highest officers' loss in killed, died of wounds and missing of any regiment during WW I.

The monument is of special interest as it incorporates one of Fredrick's the Great grenadiers and a WW I soldier grasping each others hand, the latter seemingly looking up at  the image of King Fredrick.

Bernhard H. Holst

The monument is of special interest as it incorporates one of Fredrick's the Great grenadiers and a WW I soldier grasping each others hand, the latter seemingly looking up at  the image of King Fredrick.

Bernhard H. Holst

That's why I asked about its location.  I've been to Potsdam - both before and after the Wall came down - and never remember seeing it in town or out at Sans Souci.  I would've taken a trip out there next time in Berlin if it still existed.  One of the most impressive WWI regimental monuments.  Too bad it's gone.

Hello readers.

It may be of additional interest that presently the Bundeswehr is guarding the tradition of this, the oldest regiment of the former Prussian Army. Since the upholding of traditions of any former German military formation by the Bundeswehr was forbidden by law as of the early 1980's only the protest by the then Federal President Richard v. Weizaecker ( who recently died ) could the guarding of the tradition be assumed by the Bundeswehr Wachbtaillon on an exemption basis.

Note: before 1945 the tradition was guarded by Infanterie Regiment 9 also garrisoned in Potsdam. The former President v. Weizaecker served in this regiment during WW II.

Bernhard H. Holst

That's why I asked about its location.  I've been to Potsdam - both before and after the Wall came down - and never remember seeing it in town or out at Sans Souci.  I would've taken a trip out there next time in Berlin if it still existed.  One of the most impressive WWI regimental monuments.  Too bad it's gone.

​How did you go to Potsdam before the Wall came down if I may ask? 

How do we tell the difference between the different Foot Guard regiments?

Chris

​In the feldgrau era (1907-1918) the best indicator was the shoulder straps, which were plain with various regimental piping colors. For the M1907 tunic, the first regiment had nickel buttons while the 2, 3, 4 regiments had brass buttons. Other than those differences, the tunics were pretty much the same.