News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A poorly Lancers dress hat thing?

Guys,

This came out of the skip and we have 9/12 Lancers here in Bergen.  I don't think it is from the 'Three Quarters' but may be from their history perhaps a previous amalgamation?

It is modern construction, fiber glass body and the horrible staybright shield.  Held together with 'bluetac' at the corners.

Not my bag but couldn't see it binned.  May be useful for spare parts?

Jock:)

CIMG9649.JPG

CIMG9650.JPG

Nasty, flashy thing, Jock.  Why not just bundle it up and post it off to me for decent burial? :D   Seriously, it doesn't look that bad from where I'm sitting and I'm sure one of the members would be happy to take it off your hands, for spares, as you say, if nothing else.  Your bins must be far more exotic than any I see over here in the frozen north!

Peter

Peter,

My bins are overflowing as a result of our draw down here in Germany.  You would be surprised at the amount of buckshee kit getting skipped.  I am picking a lot up at our local recycle centres as this is the best way since the Army can not touch you for buying it there.  There is 70 years worth of attic space and out of the way cellars etc that are now being emptied to hand back to the Germans.  One mans rubbish etc, etc!

Jock :)

Perhaps a bandsman's czapka for the 9th/12th Lancers?  I believe that awful plate is for the 9th Lancers, but the rest appears to be for the 12th, with scarlet top & plume.

It might look fine with a proper 12th Lancers plate, and I could possibly be interested, if you decide to sell.

• 3 months later...

This is a composite of some sort - and I have reservations that it is genuine.  The rest of the 'furniture ' is in the correct brass - but, the staybrite.............   Apart from anything else , isn't it showing a Kings Crown  -  why out of period   ?     Mervyn 

Sorry I didn't get to pitch in on this earlier but I just joined the site. It is as you says bandsman's lance cap made by a firm based in London called 'Cashket' as I recall. I understand they were rejected some time ago 1990s because if they were dropped they tended to smash. After that the bandsmen's pieces were put together by Louis Chalmers who make the plumes for the household cavalry. He worked with a chap called Paul Scarrot-Jones and they produced czapskas built as the originals with leather bases and stiffened cloth pavilions that stand up to use far better.

Timothy  -  welcome to GMIC.    Your comments on the manufacture of these poorly made helmets are interesting  -  however, I am still far from convinced that top regiments would use this quality  -  even for the band.   We must not overlook that there is always a good market for repros for use in theatres and for the re-enactment groups.    I wonder if other members have anything further to add  ?   Mervyn

• 1 year later...

Timothy  is quiet right about the Lance caps I was in the 17th/21st and QRL and had to repair them a few times. The later batch for the Lancers band actually had a plate which was a combo between a 17th and a 21st and had Lancers band on it. It could be 9th/12th had some plates made up but that Lance cap shown is a cobble up of different regiments. Which now that they are all one Regiment you might see more mixed up stuff. I actually have one of the 3 proof  sample plates that were first made for the band.

There are very few if any original 17th or 21st Lance caps left at Regiment. There are also two styles of fibre glass Lance cap a rather dumpy one and a slightly taller one. I also believe that the band of the 17th/21st were able to keep their caps on disbandment.

I pulled this one out of a bin, I think it is OK but not as good as ours were (3 RHA), I remember that a demand for new 'tin Soldier' uniform was placed and they received the 'new uniforms' from UK (Woolich) and they were pre WW1 dated, the first job was to remove the original buttons and replace them with staybright sheit!  I kept a handfull of the original buttons somewhere.

On 10.4.2015 at 22:19, Jock Auld said:

Peter,

My bins are overflowing as a result of our draw down here in Germany.  You would be surprised at the amount of buckshee kit getting skipped.  I am picking a lot up at our local recycle centres as this is the best way since the Army can not touch you for buying it there.  There is 70 years worth of attic space and out of the way cellars etc that are now being emptied to hand back to the Germans.  One mans rubbish etc, etc!

Jock :)

Jock is absolutely right. Practically every week there is something to find in cardboard box outside. Simply says

"Zu verschenken".