News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RAPC - Jasper Evelyn FAWCETT

Hi all,

Some days ago I received one nice BWM for my core collection. It was named to "LIEUT. J.E.FAWCETT". So far I was able to find out following about him:

Jasper Evelyn FAWCETT (17 February 1867 - 1937)
    Royal Army Pay Department
    Lieutenant

Jasper was born in Dublin 17 February 1867 as a son of John Fawcett and Isidora Jane Fwacett. He also had younger sisters Eva, Ida, Margaret and brother Joseph. His mother Isidora was only daughter of Lieutenant Colonel David Lynar Fawcett, C.B. commander of 55th (Westmorland) Regiment of Foot in China. Colonel Fawcett saw service in India and in China war. He was killed in one of the last formal duels in England 1843 by his brother-in-law in Camden Town in London. There is now pub called The Colonel Fawcett pub.

Isidora married 1865 with John Rowland Fawcett, who was called the Bar at King’s Inns, Dublin 1841 and was a J.P. for Co.Roscommon. John is listed on the Roscommon County Directory 1862 as a magistrate - Friars Park, Ballymurry. He died 1900. One of his addresses is given on the The County Families of the United Kingdom, Ed. 59 as 55 Belmont Avenue, Donnybrook, Co.Dublin.
    His mother Isidora passed away Christmas Day 1919 and is buried in the Mount Jerome Cemetery, Dublin.

11 November 1889 Belfast newsletter lists Jasper as Barrister-at Law: "Mr. Jasper Evelyn Fawcett. eldest son of Mr. John Fawcett of Raglan Road, in the County of Dublin and of Friars Park in the County of Roscommon. Barrister-at Law".
    1890 Law Directory shows him 55 Belmont Avenue, Donnybrook.
    1894 Slaters Royal National Directory of Ireland - Fawcett Jasper, E - barrister, 3 Belvidere pl. Also his brother John R is listed in the same location.
    1911 English Census shows him as a boarded in Paddington. His occupation is listed Manager, manufacturing agency. Same time his mother lived Ormond Road, Rathmines, Dublin.

Now, during the Great War he was employed by the Royal Army Pay Corps and he received rank Lieutenant at 26 November 1917 whilst serving with an Expeditionary Forces. He was age 50 then!
    Medal Index Card shows that he landed in France November 1917. He applied his British War Medal and Victory Medal 9 April 1920 (now, there is a text "2/Lt. J.E.Fawcett makes app. for the BWM medal". Also medal roll shows Remarks "BWM 13.12.21". So, I am not sure did he even received Victory Medal?)
    His address is given: 3 Effingham Road, Lee Green, London SE.

He relinquished his Commission on 4 May 1919 (thanks “paymedals”)

Consular Deaths 1936-1940 shows that he died in Vienna age 70 at 1937. Is there any other sources where I can see whats happened with him in Vienna?

Any other information about him would be great or ideas how to research him.

I think it is interesting medal and great research project. I like medals that has connection with the local area (Ranelagh, Rathmines, Donnybrook) in Dublin.

Thanking you in advance,

Noor

a little pit more about Jasper's grandfather and article about the pub:

Colonel Fawcett’s Duel

Yet another local pub loses its historic name: The Camden Arms in Randolph Street is now The Colonel Fawcett. This is not quite such crass vandalism as the renaming of The Old Mother Redcap. At least the new name has a local connection. This is the story.

Almost the last formal duel in this country was fought in 1843 in a field near The Brecknock Arms in Camden Road. Lieutenant Alexander Munro challenged Lieutenant-Colonel David Fawcett, his brother-in-law. They fought with guns.

Munro was serving with the Royal Horse Guards (Blue) and lived in Brompton Square. Fawcett lived in Sloane Street and had recently come back from China, where he had commanded the 55th Regiment of Foot. He was 34 and had a young family.

Apparently Munro had insulted Fawcett’s wife. As well as that, Munro had looked after Fawcett’s affairs while he was in China and they argued over the sale of a property.

They fought and, although was this still a rural area, a constable arrived quite soon to find Fawcett bleeding from a wound in the chest.  When asked what had happened, Fawcett said ‘What is it to you?  It was an accident.’

The owners of The Brecknock Arms were not around and the waiter refused to have the wounded man on the premises, so the poor fellow was carried down to The Camden Arms and died there two days later.

At the inquest the jury brought in a verdict of wilful murder. (The coroner was Thomas Wakely, founder of The Lancet.)

Fawcett’s second, Lieutenant Cuddy, was tried at the Old Bailey but the jury seemed unwilling to find him guilty. A charge against the surgeon who was at the scene was not proceeded with. This was George Gulliver, the surgeon of Fawcett’s regiment. Munro’s second,  Mr Grant, was meant to be tried at the same time but did not turn up. He finally surrendered himself for trial but was found not guilty.

Munro avoided justice for four years by going abroad  but eventually returned to stand trial at the Old Bailey. He was found guilty and sentenced to death but there was a strong recommendation of mercy and his sentence was commuted to twelve months’ imprisonment. However, his military career was ruined.

The is, in fact, one more recorded duel in England. In 1845 Lieutenant Henry Hawkey killed Captain James Alexander Seton.